trailer rehab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
Like most people, I hate freaking sanding, and all that jazz, but I knew it needed to be done, if this was going to last. The underside was by far the worst, with the prep, and the painting. Every square inch of this thing has been touched, and glad to be done.

Also, when I was painting the underside, and not having a paint suit, just a filtered mask. I had a good dusting of black on me making me look even more old and haggard than I already do. It was a sight.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That came out great!
I've got 2 I need to rehab this winter. One is kind of a novelty item, the deck is about 8" off the ground. It needs the tongue cut down and welded, and the ramps redone. Gonna use it as a race car trailer to haul my buddy's chevette around.
The other is a 16+2 car hauler that needs paint and rewired. Got a tongue box to go on it. Put a winch on it over the summer, and it pulls good. Just not pretty.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I love it, thats an inspiration for sure! Thanks for sharing.

You must be registered for see images attach

my single axle 6×8 dump trailer, that is probably under ten years old needs to be redone like this. there were design flaws that I corrected. like wtf... a part of the rear frame, a 2" square tube that's welded into a big U. had plastic caps to keep water out.... dont last long. for who knows how long it was filled with water rotting from the inside out until it was completely full and I saw the problem. I drilled many holes in all of these kinds of parts cuz who knows what else they hid. its a very good brand name trailer as well. I love it and it deserves the same kind off attention you gave yours.

I need a car hauler capable of hauling one of our trucks, let's say a big ass Burb. can one be home built on an older, well built rv trailer frame? I have many to choose from! I know how to get it registered and all, just curious if one of those frames would be strong enough to start building off of? I guess the trailer weight rating should give me a good idea right....

sorry for off topic question but you guys have the experience.

Al

Last edited:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love it, thats an inspiration for sure! Thanks for sharing.

You must be registered for see images attach

I need a car hauler capable of hauling one of our trucks, let's say a big ass Burb. can one be home built on an older, well built rv trailer frame? I have many to choose from! I know how to get it registered and all, just curious if one of those frames would be strong enough to start building off of? I guess the trailer weight rating should give me a good idea right....

Al

It seems the rv frames vary a ton. Our small toy hauler has a beefy frame, and I think it would be fine. Some regular rv's that I have looked at - the frames look pretty weak. Got any pics of the rv frames that you might use?

How much the axles are rated for might be an issue also.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I have over engineered 70's and 80's trailers.... LOL. a buddy has a bunch of these as well. I also have one from 2000 and have seen others that are feather light and at first I was considering the 2000 but after actually looking at it.... hell no. I wouldnt consider anything newer either. I'm in no hurry and dont really want to destroy the trailers I have as despite there age, they are in great shape. I dont think they would be wide enough in between the wheels.

anyways one day....

Al

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a couple home made trailers using tandem mobile home axles and springs (had 4 electric brakes). One of them I put a 1500 gal water tank, a 2" gas powered pump, and a mix tank for spraying pesticides in the orchards. Another was a 8' X 20' tilt bed I used to haul small 60 - 90 HP tractors with. Ran 10+ ply tires and didn't have any issues with them.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
over the years I made the mistake of letting family borrow it a couple times, and both times it came back damaged
Same here, every time I've loaned it out.

2x winch cable trashed
1x couldn't wiggle the ball lock loose, so he pried it out with a screwdriver. I hammered it back in place, but now it hangs up all the time.
1x broke the tongue jack
1x busted taillight
1x bent fender

But I'll still loan it out because it's the neighborly thing to do.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
My in laws asked to rent my small utility trailer once, and I said no. I've decided I'm just not going to deal with the hassle anymore. People don't know how to respect other people's stuff.