trailer rehab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I've had this car trailer for about 25 years or so, and it was starting to look like it. I bought it used, but was in good shape, over the years I made the mistake of letting family borrow it a couple times, and both times it came back damaged, in one way or another. It use to have a nice set of fenders on it, but I'll leave it at that.

Fast forward to the present, and it's looking pitiful...

You must be registered for see images attach

5 on 4.75 bolt pattern, which has allowed to run a few different sets of wheels, in a pinch.

Added the mesh and plate a few years ago, to make use of the tongue area.

Then the rehab started, with some new goodies...

New brains...

I originally wanted to get the whole trailer sand blasted, but for what they charge around here, I just about could've bought a new trailer. So I had to do it the old fashion way. A month of weekends, and this whole week of sanding, abrasive wheels, and rust convertor paint, topped with gloss black, has paid off.

Kept the S10 wheels, but they now have actual trailer tires on them, and all led lighting.

Lights on...

Crappy night shot.

Nice to have a project finished, and didn't really spend a lot of money either, which I like even more.

I hate to leave it outside now. lol

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Funny that you posted this. In that pic of my (dad's) '97 Tahoe with 3'-4' weeds growing up all around it, there's a 16' wood floor car trailer further back in the weeds.
I'm trying to come up with an idea for it.
Rehab it? Sell it? Outfit it with a huge smoker, generator, chest type refrigerator/freezer and anchored e-z up canopy and rent it out for events?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wanting to rehab my 2019 Carry On.
Bought it new last December but it wasn't exactly what I wanted, has flip up ramps but I wanted slide in, not a dovetail, 10K Equipment trailer but 6 lug rims and 15" tires.

So far the first things I'm going to do are make the fenders removable, they've got a couple dings but who knows how long before the fenders get fully bashed off. Next is ramp conversion to slide in and getting 8-lug hubs put on. Already got a winch and a tongue box.

I've let friends and family borrow it, the first time is free but after that I charge U-Haul rates

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago I had an open deck car hauler that had a nice layer of surface rust. I never bothered to clean it, so I never bothered to paint it. . . until it was time to sell of course. I sprayed right over the rust and that was the best it ever looked. I regretted not just doing that day 1. Yours clearly has had more love put into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DJost