Trailer angle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I've towed many trailers, from a 4x6 utility trailer to a triple axle boat trailer and many inbetween, but none with a truck with this much lift.

My question is this: How close to level should my trailer be behind my truck?
I recently picked up a 6x12 V nose enclosed trailer and the jack wouldn't even lift high enough to back the ball under the coupler. I got it this close with a 7" drop hitch, but its far from level. I try to pack most of the weight forward in the trailer to squat the truck some, but it only drops the rear maybe an inch.
You must be registered for see images

Not really that big of a deal with an enclosed trailer, but
I am picking up a car hauler soon and from looking at them I have a feeling the height of my hitch could become a problem. Is there a limit to the amount of drop I can get out of the hitch? The biggest drop I could find is 7" and that is what I have.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The frame of your trailer should always ride level with the road surface.

You need more drop in your hitch adapter....or you need to raise the ride height of trailer.

I wouldn't recommend raising the ride height of the trailer.

Firing all the trailer weight forward is not a good idea either. You risk getting into a porpoising situ.

"Squatting" the rear is also bad. It unloads the steering axle.

Trust me; that sucks hard.....been there, done that, got the stained shorts.

This is the problem with towing with lifted trucks (among other things).

I even had to get a drop adapter for my WD hitch and my truck is unaltered stock hieght....

Last edited:

cochino12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah you are going to want to get that trailer a little more level. Rapid hitch make an adjustable that will drop low enough for you, expensive but worth it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No soiled shorts, yet, at least not in this truck/trailer combo. I haven't put enough weight in it to really notice it behind the truck, mostly emptying storage units and household type stuff. I have used adjustable hitches at work and they seem sloppy and loose, but they have also been used and abused. I'll have to look into the Rapid Hitch, looks a little better than what we have at work.

I was just researching some custom 10 & 12" drop hitches, I will have to see how much weight they are rated before I pull the trigger on one, quite a bit of difference between a jon boat and a car hauler.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Actually the trailer tongue should be fairly close to level if not just a hair downhill to the truck. Once weight transfers on braking, you don't want the front of your truck to squat, shifting weight off the rear axle. If your tongue is pointed up like that and you are loaded heavy in the trailer, you may be in for a big surprise, as it will want to push the rear of the truck up, unloading the tires under "emergency" braking / accident avoidance.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
yeah you are going to want to get that trailer a little more level. Rapid hitch make an adjustable that will drop low enough for you, expensive but worth it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nothing personal, but those suck....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Why do you say that? I've had one for about a year and haven't had any issues with it?

They wear with heavy use and get sloppy and noisy.

The ones I have used never stand up long.

A car hauler will make 'em scream for mercy if used long and hard.

Probably fine for the occasional tow or smaller trailers though....