TORTION KEYS AND 3/4 TON LEAFS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i have a 96 chevy 1/2 ton 4wd and im considering getting 3/4 ton leafs because i do a fair amount of towing and my leafs are pretty well shot anyway, it already has the natural front end sag and im wondering if tortion keys would be enough to level it decent or if i would have to just go all out and get a full susp. lift

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Aftermarket keys are useless on this body style so just turn the stock ones up. Are you sure your leafs are shot and it aint your shocks? maybe just do an aal if you want to be able to tow more and replace shocks.

Reaction score
i just replaced the shocks last fall and i was plannin on just turnin up the stock keys and yes theyre shot it doesnt take much to make it squat i guess my main questions were will the 3/4 ton leafs lift the back much?

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
My bad your original post made it sound as if you were gonna buy aftermarket keys. I have never put 3/4 ton leafs on a half ton but on my 3/4 ton I know it took a lot to make them squat.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i have a 96 chevy 1/2 ton 4wd and im considering getting 3/4 ton leafs because i do a fair amount of towing and my leafs are pretty well shot anyway, it already has the natural front end sag and im wondering if tortion keys would be enough to level it decent or if i would have to just go all out and get a full susp. lift

i threw 1ton bars in my blazer with great success. you can look for them on ebay. and the 3/4 ton leags will lift it some.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might want to take a quick look to see if you have a F44 optioned 1/2 ton before you do anything. If you don't, you're dealing with axles and brakes which are all 1/2 ton stock; throwing on a set of 3/4 ton leafs on won't give you the towing (let alone stopping) capability of a 3/4 ton. If you're lucky, your truck has the F44 option which consists of the 14 bolt 9.5" rear end which means it's a "heavy half" which is essentially a "light duty" 3/4 ton. If this is the case, adding an overload spring to the pack may well solve your problem. I opted for an additional leaf, Timbren Kit, and Bilstein HD shocks. Truck now squats 1-2" with a 1/2 ton load in the bed, handles much better than it did stock. If you have a 10 bolt rear axle, swapping to a 14 bolt (semi floating) along with the appropriate leafs (and the bigger brakes that come with the axle) is the best way to safely increase your towing capability.

Good Luck.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might want to take a quick look to see if you have a F44 optioned 1/2 ton before you do anything. If you don't, you're dealing with axles and brakes which are all 1/2 ton stock; throwing on a set of 3/4 ton leafs on won't give you the towing (let alone stopping) capability of a 3/4 ton. If you're lucky, your truck has the F44 option which consists of the 14 bolt 9.5" rear end which means it's a "heavy half" which is essentially a "light duty" 3/4 ton. If this is the case, adding an overload spring to the pack may well solve your problem. I opted for an additional leaf, Timbren Kit, and Bilstein HD shocks. Truck now squats 1-2" with a 1/2 ton load in the bed, handles much better than it did stock. If you have a 10 bolt rear axle, swapping to a 14 bolt (semi floating) along with the appropriate leafs (and the bigger brakes that come with the axle) is the best way to safely increase your towing capability.

Good Luck.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
some say it does basically. I say no.

All those options annoy me trying to figure them out.

1/2 ld

1/2 ton hd,

f44 ackage on the 1/2 ton l/d and on h/d

2500 series l/d version same as 1/2 ton 1500 series hd or f44? it's all too confusing.

honestly to haul loads in the bed try some 3/4 ton leaves, aint sure if they bolt right up or not. or even air shocks/bags to help support.

Reaction score
i usually dont haul heavy loads in the bed theyre usually on my 32ft tilt bed with 2 7000lb axles and it varies to anything on it from old cars to tractors, but it is a bumper hitch so i suppose it the same concept