Tools to Carry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep a tire cross in the Dodge that I welded a 15/16" socket over one of the metric ends. The factory lug wrench is sloooooow and it doesn't work well on 3/4" trailer lug nuts.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
My lug wrench was split on the side of the socket part, so it would flex and try to round out the nuts. I have to keep a 27mm 6-sided and a 1/2" breaker bar....I'd personally like to find that combo in 5/8" or larger drive, that way I don't have to use a cheater tube on end of breaker bar.
If you have a Snap-On rep nearby, they usually carry one in the truck. I paid $24 for mine a few years ago..lifetime warrenty.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Hey, what is your view on using lug thread lube? I've only used light oil for reinstalling because i've heard horror stories of nuts coming loose if you use grease or any lube that stays on there for long periods. I'd use a bigger 4-way, but not enough leverage. Used an analog gauge torque wrench one time to remove, and they were all showing ~300lbs to break free.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If you have a Snap-On rep nearby, they usually carry one in the truck. I paid $24 for mine a few years ago..lifetime warrenty.

What size drive, 5/8 or 3/4? I'll have to check into that then, I know the truck visits the local vocational college here.

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, what is your view on using lug thread lube? I've only used light oil for reinstalling because i've heard horror stories of nuts coming loose if you use grease or any lube that stays on there for long periods. I'd use a bigger 4-way, but not enough leverage. Used an analog gauge torque wrench one time to remove, and they were all showing ~300lbs to break free.

Lubed threads need a different torque spec than dry threads. The friction on the threads themselves burns up a bit of the drive torque so it varies the end bolt stretch which is what the torque spec is really trying to dial in (I say trying as it's really not that precise). Lubed threads have a lower coefficient of friction so the same drive torque will stetch them further than dry threads. To much stretch and you reach plastic deformation and the stud can prematurely fail.

I've never had a problem with a tire cross and lug nuts. Of course all my experience is on light duty rigs.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cell phone, factory tools for changing a tire, 6" fixed blade bowie style Buck Knife.

radical7

admitted truck *****
Reaction score
i gota question on the ratcheting wrench for the spare tire, will it fit the belt tensioning bolt to take the belt loose

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
I usually carry a variety of tools, funny parts is I rarely use them on my own truck they are mostly pulled out for other peoples junk :Big Laugh:

Jumper cables
Craftsmen plastic box tool assortment
Electrical kit
Lug wrench
Mini Floor jack and jack stand
wheel chocks