Tools to Carry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350VortecSSCT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive learned the hard way when driving my 13 year old truck...carry tools:
Full Socket Set
Full Wrench Set
Assorted Phillips Heads Flat, Star, Hex, etc.
Magnets (drop metal in black holes)
Jumper Cables
Rubber Mallet(fuel pump)
Fuses(Sound System eeeek!)

What do you carry?:beatdeadhorse5:

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
A for sale sign.
But for real everything you mentioned and a good tow strap for those desperate times.

RetroSierraST

Reaction score
i don't know why you would need a full socket or wrench set...These trucks only use a 5.5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 15 and 18mm.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i don't know why you would need a full socket or wrench set...These trucks only use a 5.5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 15 and 18mm.

And a 36mm for the spindle nut, a SAE socket for the lug nuts, :hmm: The GMT400's use all kinds of different size bolts and nuts for various things.. I think it's a good idea to carry a full socket set. I carry a little 24"X30"X18" toolbox behind my passenger seat. I keep an assortment of screw drivers and pliers, along with a socket set. I also keep a set of jumper cables, and good tow strap in the box. I mostly carry the tools in my truck for helping other people out, but it's nice to have a good tool set with you at all times just in case!

Last edited:

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I carry a full socket set (with 36mm socket) and wrench set, vise grips & pliers, some electrical wire and tape, snare wire, hunting knife, a machete & bow saw and a strap & D-shackle

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cheap $20 tool set (sockets/wrenches/screwdrivers) , tow strap, jumper cables , lug wrench.
Just enough to get me off the road. Keep the good tools at home for real fixes. I used to carry a full Craftsmen set until some crackhead busted a vent window in my 86 and took them with him.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All bolts are metric but I think it's the valve covers on center bolt covers.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I load my 4-drawer craftsman box to the brim when i travel anywhere with the truck. I carry full sets of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 driver sockets, all my ratchets, extensions, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, hammers, specialty tools, electric impact gun, and a huge assortment of electrical connectors, wire and fuses.

The truck always has a towstrap, shovel, shackles, jumpercables as well as spare hub, TREs and some misc fluids. I also have a high-lift and bottle jack.

Better to be over prepared than under.