Tools to Carry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive learned the hard way when driving my 13 year old truck...carry tools:
Full Socket Set
Full Wrench Set
Assorted Phillips Heads Flat, Star, Hex, etc.
Magnets (drop metal in black holes)
Jumper Cables
Rubber Mallet(fuel pump)
Fuses(Sound System eeeek!)

What do you carry?:beatdeadhorse5:

all that, and pliers/adjustable wrench, and a digital multimeter, and handheld code reader incase I don't have my laptop with me.

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
nothing. no tools can prepare you or help when a motor locks up on the way to work in 15 degree weather at 7 in the morning. So my answer would be a cell phone :D

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I load my 4-drawer craftsman box to the brim when i travel anywhere with the truck. I carry full sets of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 driver sockets, all my ratchets, extensions, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, hammers, specialty tools, electric impact gun, and a huge assortment of electrical connectors, wire and fuses.

The truck always has a towstrap, shovel, shackles, jumpercables as well as spare hub, TREs and some misc fluids. I also have a high-lift and bottle jack.

Better to be over prepared than under.

this is close
full sets of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets with matching ratchets, a breaker bar, and a pipe (for added torque)
common sized sets of metric ratchet wrenches, with the rest of a full set made up of non ratcheters
needle nose, channel lock, and vise grip pliers
5l anti freeze and motor oil. A bottle of PS, Brake and tranny fluid as well as a thing of methyl hydrate
recovery strap, chain, various size ratchet straps to include vehicle tie down straps (something like 5,000lbs), snatch block, winch controls, and when applicable 10,000lb winch.
I need to get a taller jack, but im gambling right now as the funds are not there for the one I want.
I also have duct tape, electrical tape, wire cutters, and various screw drivers.

Right now there is a 20lb sledge and stuff for measuring out distances in a field

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
I'm with both of you ^^on this one..also have a portable air compessor with clamps that hook onto the battery terminals, oh and an extra battery:hmm:
...also 2 extra set of jumper cables and welding rod, works good in a pinch as long as the rods are dry.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I carry a piece of paper that says I get free towing up to $75 dollars. Plus I don't want my tools stolen in this white trash area I live in.

But I guess it is kind of fun having a bunch of tools with you at all times, never know when you need them.

Sully where have you been man!?

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Jumper Cables.
Nylon straps with ratchets and hooks.
Furniture pad. <-Yeah, I know, probably the only one to have that, but I still load firewood and stuff in the back. I don't baby it, but still try to keep the interior nice.
I have a lot of tools, but like RHamill said, don't want them stolen. I'm planning on getting a toolbox and filling it with essentials, that way I don't have to get in to my truck to get my tools when I'm at home.
Sounds like most of you are close to being rolling auto stores.....fuses, batteries, etc. Holy crap! It's called AAA people! lol. I actually haven't had mine break down that much. However, I do have fluids (oil, power steering, brake fluid, grease for door hinges, and battery cleaner) in a compartment in the back. Also carry a battery terminal brush.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
My 88 has never left me stranded, the 99 has twice and luckily I had the spare things to do what I needed to do (both times were pmd related anyway, stupid stanadyne).

I only carry the tools with me because most of the time when I'm out far enough from home, i'm camping or wheelin'. I don't' want to be left SOL because I can't remove one bolt or something stupid. I actually haven't needed my tools for myself yet, just other people.