tires way off, rough alingmnet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have been working on my 97 Z71 that I just bought. It was a farm truck from SC.
After an almost complete brake system, trans rebuild, new tires, and just new ball joints, I used a string to get a rough alignment.
Locked the steering wheel straight and I was stunned at how far the tires were off, no wonder the old tires were scrubbed bald.
Thought I'd post pics for others enjoyment/amazement...

Attachments

• balljoints_13_driveralignerror.jpg
    balljoints_13_driveralignerror.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 39
  • balljoints_14_passengererror.jpg
    balljoints_14_passengererror.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 37

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
thats pretty far out there lol, ive never been able to make it "almost" straight... last time tried setting up new tie rods, my wheels where something like, 1.5 turns full lock one way then 4 turns the other way! lmao

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is defintly way out of even a drunken eyeball :lol:

how did the string around the tires work for the doing the allignment, I've heard of it before but never have tried it?

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats why alignment machines that good shops have are so expensive. They get it perfect.

duanes7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't quite judge the true results right now because I do have some slight play in the right side wheel hub, but my steering wheel is still not quite centered and the truck doesn't quite track straight. Once I replace that then I will try to string again and see.

Just judging from the picture the tire wear has to be significantly reduced...