Issue with replacement H2 rims rubbing the UCA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gypsy_wind

Reaction score
I know I'll need to augment this post with some additional pics tonights, but I thought I'd get the question out there and see if anyone has thoughts. 1995 K2500 Suburban which has/had 16" steel wheels with 235/75/16 BFG TKO2's. I got a set of H2 rims and had Continental TerrainContact AT's in 265/70/17 mounted. In preparation, I think I found most of the pics on the net of this combination of wheels/tires on GMT400's and no where did I see or read an indication that this combination would need any alterations for clearance. Lots of references to 285's needing a crank on the torsion bars or a little fender work to clear when turning.

Put the new rims/tires on last Friday and took it for a drive and heard a faint rubbing noise and limped back home to find the passenger front UCA had rubbed on the backside of the rim and even scrubbed off a few of the balancing weights.

Like I said, I'll get some more pics tonight, but would you guys expect this rim/tire combination to need any allowances for clearance on a "stock" setup? I put stock in quotes, because when I bought it last year, I was told the front end had been rebuilt, but the shocks were pretty well shot when I pulled them off this weekend to replace the incorrect-sized bolts they had used to mount them. They had used a metric bolt and there was a pretty mean clacking sound when going over rough roads. So, I'm not sure how well carried out this rebuild was. Maybe a simple alignment issue with currently too much toe-in? Or too much toe for the bigger tires?

Feedback is appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
1995 K2500 Suburban which has/had 16" steel wheels with 235/75/16 BFG TKO2's.

Do you mean 245/75R16? I think a 235 is available, but not in a truck tire. 245 would be original.

Edit: or maybe a 235/85R16?

I got a set of H2 rims ...

I've always thought they would fit, and have had an eye out for a set, for myself. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

the shocks were pretty well shot when I pulled them off this weekend to replace the incorrect-sized bolts they had used to mount them. They had used a metric bolt and there was a pretty mean clacking sound when going over rough roads.

I think they are metric. Our trucks use both metric and SAE, but the SAE is normally on stuff originally designed years and years ago, like the block/heads, and rear axles.

gypsy_wind

Reaction score
Do you mean 245/75R16? I think a 235 is available, but not in a truck tire. 245 would be original.
Thanks for the correction...they are 245's.

I think they are metric. Our trucks use both metric and SAE, but the SAE is normally on stuff originally designed years and years ago, like the block/heads, and rear axles.

It came to me with Monroe OESpectrum shocks on it. According to Monroe's site, the OESpectrum shock uses 1/2" ID top and bottom. Maybe the original shocks had a 12mm ID and they reused the bolts when they should have gone up to 1/2" ID bolts for that model of Monroe. Either way, it has new shocks and bolts on it and no more clacking!

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
This was an issue when these trucks first came out and there might have been a TSB on it. They came with metric bolts from the factory and two different sized holes in the shock mounts. I fixed mine by drilling the shock mount holes out to 1/2" and installing 1/2" bolts in place of the metric ones.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
This was an issue when these trucks first came out and there might have been a TSB on it. They came with metric bolts from the factory and two different sized holes in the shock mounts. I fixed mine by drilling the shock mount holes out to 1/2" and installing 1/2" bolts in place of the metric ones.

Interesting.... I had a shock replaced under warranty. Now I'm curios if they swapped the bolt out. Next time I have it apart, I should replace the hardware, as the lock nuts don't lock real well anymore.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had a couple sets of the H2 rims, even on a square, and didn't rub anything. They don't like the crossover steering arm on the '00 for some reason. I have a set now, could mount em up n show yah, but wouldn't be till the weekend. Just worked 17 hours. Tired. Going to bed.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the picture it looks like the wheel is set back towards the door and not centered in the wheel opening. May be an indication of something funky in the suspension.