Front end rebuild question/suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turtles

Reaction score
Truck is a 96 3500 2wd drw, 7.4...

Looking for suggestion on higher quality parts to do my steering and rebuild my front end/steering. I had my 97 c2500 done at a shop with off the shelf parts and a Cardone box, everything that showed wear, had the slightest play was replaced with what I thought were higher quality parts, still a fair amount of play, and doesn't drive like I spent 2800 and a full month at the shop.

I've heard mixed reviews of moog ball joints, even though they are still considered a higher quality brand. I do plan on getting the Cunningham Machine isolator/rag joint eliminator shaft, as my 97 has a new rag joint it still could be considered a loose point. I'm still on the fence with redhead quick turn boxes, as I've read some mixed reviews previously.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back when mine was a daily driver, I had all the work done on it at a shop too. Reputable shop, and they use all Delco or Moog parts. I had major front end work done at one point, maybe not as extensive as what you had, and I remember having the same reaction. "This doesn't feel as precise as it ought to". Seemed strange, but I chalked it up to being a 25 year old truck.

Turtles

Reaction score
But in theory, if you replace everything with good "quality" parts, you'd think it drive a little straighter and be a little tighter. I'm not looking for a 90s truck to drive like a 2020.i just dropped another 4k on my 96 for u joints, new distributor, and some rear end stuff.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck is a 96 3500 2wd drw, 7.4...

Looking for suggestion on higher quality parts to do my steering and rebuild my front end/steering. I had my 97 c2500 done at a shop with off the shelf parts and a Cardone box, everything that showed wear, had the slightest play was replaced with what I thought were higher quality parts, still a fair amount of play, and doesn't drive like I spent 2800 and a full month at the shop.

I've heard mixed reviews of moog ball joints, even though they are still considered a higher quality brand. I do plan on getting the Cunningham Machine isolator/rag joint eliminator shaft, as my 97 has a new rag joint it still could be considered a loose point. I'm still on the fence with redhead quick turn boxes, as I've read some mixed reviews previously.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
I could type in my personal suggestions or just read what I did. 16k later and zero change, like the day installed.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire front end of my '89 is new, and it's still significantly looser than a modern vehicle, but that's why link style steering went away and everyone went to rack and pinion. It will never be as tight as a rack.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could never use “significantly looser” to describe my front end. There is zero looseness or play. I can put my hand on tire and just barely, and I mean barely turn wheel and see and feel movement. I was able to A/B front end to my 2018 Z71 when 96 new front end installed. The 2018 felt easier to turn, but no play. The 96 feels tighter with no play. I’m not here to say link system is better than rack and pinion, just that there is zero looseness a year later with now 16k more on it. I actually prefer the whole feel of the 96 much better.
I know that’s^^^ not how you check for steer play above, but one of the ways. When I got recent inspection sticker last October, I went to a new inspection station, I didn’t no mechanic at all. When it was up in air and he was checking everything, he called over to the other 2 working there and I heard him say “this is how a front end is supposed to feel”. When I was paying for sticker, he asked if I wanted to sell.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be the steering box as they're known for being poorly rebuilt from the parts store.

Agreed. That’d be my first guess for a culprit.

I was talking to the owner of a local mom and pop shop that I use sometimes about gearboxes. While they’ll put in a parts store box if the owner is hell bent on it and insists, they won’t warranty the labor on them.

Turtles

Reaction score
I've actually got your whole thread saved for sometime, figured I could widen the spectrum of parts.

What's your rough estimate on what you spent on your front end rebuild?

I know the gearbox has to have some kinda slop, as they went through 3 refurbished boxes until I decided for a new one. It seemed every single remain box they installed left the wheel off center, that's after they got the truck aligned, granted they never gave my the 4 alignment spec sheet.

I'm starting to save links to bushings, bearings, and practically every thing you have on in your post Caman96. If the parts are interchangeable between 1500-3500 I might aswell double my order and remove the new parts foe newer parts.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some parts would be interchangeable, just have to check part by part. I would also agree on the steering box point. With about 68k, my steering box was/is in great shape. I have no experience with all these aftermarket boxes, seems hit or miss. I’d be inclined to look for a low mileage box and adjust it the correct way.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Or look into someone like this with an original steering box.

Last edited: