Tips and Tricks for the Vortec 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Stig

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys think is the best way to wake up these engines. Weather it be through throttle response or more ponies under the hood, I just want more get-up&go :D .

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
1: Get standard maintence up to date

2: black bear tune

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The Stig

Reaction score
1: Get standard maintence up to date

2: black bear tune

I have been looking at the Black Bear Tune and was wondering if anyone had anyone had any performance and mpg numbers after getting one on a mostly stock truck.

The Stig

Reaction score
Do a search mam

Thanks for the tip. I found a couple of interesting posts but not a whole lot for the Vortecs, so right now I'm looking for what mods are the best bang for your buck and the all out money is no option mod:D.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Its prettypopular with the ls motor crowd. I Have no concrete numbers. But if you look cost to gain, a tune is gonna have the most results.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cost is no object mod? LS/Dmax swap. You can spend as much or as little as you want there.

As has been said, get your truck in A1 running condition before attempting any performance mods. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and upstream O2 sensors should be top priorities. Make sure your MAF is clean, air filter is new, and that you have no vacuum or fuel pressure issues. A compression and leakdown test would be great idea, to get an idea of how good your ringseal is. If you get poor or inconsistent numbers there, you will not get the most out of your mods. A tune is a great option. I would recommend an 0411 swap and tune, just to make it easier for you and the tuner down the road. A higher stall torque converter will get you up and going a bit quicker, but isn't really adding power. Exhaust + cam + springs/retainers + tune could really help the truck's performance as long as you don't go crazy with the cam specs. Stock Vortec cams are pretty anemic, and a more aggressive cam with a good tune, exhaust, and a higher stall converter (to put you in the meat of the powerband when you nail it) could really make your truck come alive.

The Stig

Reaction score
Cost is no object mod? LS/Dmax swap. You can spend as much or as little as you want there.

As has been said, get your truck in A1 running condition before attempting any performance mods. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and upstream O2 sensors should be top priorities. Make sure your MAF is clean, air filter is new, and that you have no vacuum or fuel pressure issues. A compression and leakdown test would be great idea, to get an idea of how good your ringseal is. If you get poor or inconsistent numbers there, you will not get the most out of your mods. A tune is a great option. I would recommend an 0411 swap and tune, just to make it easier for you and the tuner down the road. A higher stall torque converter will get you up and going a bit quicker, but isn't really adding power. Exhaust + cam + springs/retainers + tune could really help the truck's performance as long as you don't go crazy with the cam specs. Stock Vortec cams are pretty anemic, and a more aggressive cam with a good tune, exhaust, and a higher stall converter (to put you in the meat of the powerband when you nail it) could really make your truck come alive.

Thanks for the info. I just want to know how GM could only get 250HP out of a 350 haha.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Throttle lip mod lol. Its free and wakes them up a bit. Probably insignificant at WOT, but it helps it be more responsive.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just want to know how GM could only get 250HP out of a 350 haha.

Lots of reasons. Engines with over 300hp only came in sports cars and heavy trucks, so there really wan't any incentive to try harder. They had to meet emissions, while meeting Federal CAFE standards, while building an engine that would last for the duration of their powertrain warranty, while making as much money off of each of those engines as possible. Aaaaand... they couldn't well have a truck that made more horsepower and torque that a Z28 or base model Vette. They learned that lesson with the Typhoon/Syclone.