"Thunder" 1996 K3500 crew cab 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can find an 0411 out of an actual 02 express van, most of the pinouts are made for that I'm guessing.

And this sounds like a fun project for sure.. wouldn't you be able to use the stock tps and iac? Are you rubnruna difgdiffe throttle body? A LS style throttle body should allow you to use known sensors.

The coil pack conversion would be pretty nice to have. With all of that I really think you'll benefit from buying the software to do it yourself, I'm not sure how knowledgeable a shop will be on all this, as before I suppose it depends on the shop.
I can not use a stock TPS or IAC due to it being a mercruiser intake. GM built intake and sensors but designed specifically for Mercruiser racing. But I am thinking about having an adapter plate made to use a 102mm LS style throttle body and seeing what it would take to switch to speed density from mass air.
This build has definitely taken on a life of its own. And with that comes a lot of unexpected cost. But in the end I will have a fun one of a kind build.
I am leaning to tuning it my self, waiting to hear back from Black Bear Performance.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can not use a stock TPS or IAC due to it being a mercruiser intake. GM built intake and sensors but designed specifically for Mercruiser racing. But I am thinking about having an adapter plate made to use a 102mm LS style throttle body and seeing what it would take to switch to speed density from mass air.
This build has definitely taken on a life of its own. And with that comes a lot of unexpected cost. But in the end I will have a fun one of a kind build.
I am leaning to tuning it my self, waiting to hear back from Black Bear Performance.

SD would probably be fairly easy, just need a map sensor, iat, and tps. I'm a little confused where the tps mounts on this, I thought it would be in the throttle body. Any pics?

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
SD would probably be fairly easy, just need a map sensor, iat, and tps. I'm a little confused where the tps mounts on this, I thought it would be in the throttle body. Any pics?
TPS is on the throttle body, but it is a mercruiser throttle bottle and TPS mount is milled to only be able to use a mercruiser TPS which cost more.
That is why I am trying to find a fab company that can make an adapter to use an LS Throttle body. Have not had any luck as of yet.

Ideally using the GM ram jet throttle body would be the most Ideal as it is a standard TPS. But GM does not sell it individually and the ones I have found are extremely overpriced.

I am sure if I did more research I could make this setup work, mercury racing is not very helpful and are reluctant to give out sensor parameters. My biggest concern is what information I have recieved says the potentiometer has different ohm valves due to it is designed for race boat applications.
You must be registered for see images attach

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TPS is on the throttle body, but it is a mercruiser throttle bottle and TPS mount is milled to only be able to use a mercruiser TPS which cost more.
That is why I am trying to find a fab company that can make an adapter to use an LS Throttle body. Have not had any luck as of yet.

Ideally using the GM ram jet throttle body would be the most Ideal as it is a standard TPS. But GM does not sell it individually and the ones I have found are extremely overpriced.

I am sure if I did more research I could make this setup work, mercury racing is not very helpful and are reluctant to give out sensor parameters. My biggest concern is what information I have recieved says the potentiometer has different ohm valves due to it is designed for race boat applications.

Oh I gotcha now.. yeah I would think that making an LS throttle body adapter would be the best option.

Casey1104

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

What are you going to be doing with your old bumper i might be able to have someone pick it up

Beeffajitas

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can adjust TPS parameters in a 411 ECU, through tuning software, BUT the aftermarket stuff you can. Then you wouldn't need to mess around with the TB.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update on the truck the 509 is being built now and project is moving forward. I have started a 509 build thread separate from this one. During a race with a 2018 f350 diesel I refused to lose and the decision was detrimental to the 7.4l. I won, but at cost that was worth it.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured it may be time to update the truck progress here. The 509 is built but have ran into some complications due to being shafted on parts.

So thought maybe I would just repair the 454 in the truck temporarily till I build the truck fund back up. But it has been one poor finding after another.

I know #8 rod bearing is spun and rod may be slightly bent as the engine binds when turning it over with heads off. The cam has skip marks on it. The timing chain has two inches of deflection. And plugs along with bottom of heads show several cylinders not firing properly.

Found some nice metal pieces in the oil pan.

I am more amazed this beast made it home and would still bring the 40's to life and only had a "slight" knock.

Foward progress is still to be determined.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured it may be time to update the truck progress here. The 509 is built but have ran into some complications due to being shafted on parts.

So thought maybe I would just repair the 454 in the truck temporarily till I build the truck fund back up. But it has been one poor finding after another.

I know #8 rod bearing is spun and rod may be slightly bent as the engine binds when turning it over with heads off. The cam has skip marks on it. The timing chain has two inches of deflection. And plugs along with bottom of heads show several cylinders not firing properly.

Found some nice metal pieces in the oil pan.

I am more amazed this beast made it home and would still bring the 40's to life and only had a "slight" knock.

Foward progress is still to be determined.

What's a low ish mileage takeout run in your area? Might be a cheapish route to having an engine back in it. That sucks theres so much damage.