"Thunder" 1996 K3500 crew cab 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
that sucks about getting shafted. you could probably rebuild you current engine for less than a takeout.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
that sucks about getting shafted. you could probably rebuild you current engine for less than a takeout.
Bent seval connecting rods, spun rod bearings, ovaled #8 cylinder bore, broken wrist pins, blew apart harmonic balancer, stretched the timing chain and screwed up the camshaft. Not to mention the head rework needed. Looking at almost 4k to rebuild the 454. Having a hard time spending that with a 11k built 509 sitting on a stand.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bent seval connecting rods, spun rod bearings, ovaled #8 cylinder bore, broken wrist pins, blew apart harmonic balancer, stretched the timing chain and screwed up the camshaft. Not to mention the head rework needed. Looking at almost 4k to rebuild the 454. Having a hard time spending that with a 11k built 509 sitting on a stand.
Yeah, thats tough..

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

How fast were you going when **** went south?? That sounds like an awesome failure; not awesome getting shafted on everything though.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, thats tough..
Yes it is, bu
How fast were you going when **** went south?? That sounds like an awesome failure; not awesome getting shafted on everything though.
Let's just say North of the century mark. Was over 6 grand on RPM's.

I have resistors inline on transmission shift solenoids to boost line pressure as well.
Still need to check torque converter. I am sure I hurt it. Started have shift issues afterwards, feels more like a torque converter or lock up solenoid.

Just grateful she made it home under her own power.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the better spun bearings out of #6 hole
You must be registered for see images attach

All of #7 bearing in oil pan

Here is #2, was on it's way

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picture does not do it justice, #6 rod heat and impact Mark's from hitting head. Stretched the rod.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking Emery cloth polishing of crank may be out of the question