Thread Locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What thread locker did they use in this application? Is it a High Temperature Locker like this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Or what exactly did GM use here? I see the same stuff on many of the sensors.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red threadlocker on a plastic oil fill tube? Not a chance.

It's thread sealant. I don't think anyone can tell you with absolute certainty the brand of the thread sealant. But, as long as it's compatible with engine oil, should be good to go.

Loctite makes Loctite DRI 516 and 517 thread sealants. They resemble the same burnt orange color. Not sure if they are sold in consumer-sized containers though.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red threadlocker on a plastic oil fill tube? Not a chance.

It's thread sealant. I don't think anyone can tell you with absolute certainty the brand of the thread sealant. But, as long as it's compatible with engine oil, should be good to go.

Loctite makes Loctite DRI 516 and 517 thread sealants. They resemble the same burnt orange color. Not sure if they are sold in consumer-sized containers though.
The only reason I asked was because those tubes are supposedly insanely tough to get out. My actual first thought was this. I almost PM’d you, should’ve as you seem to know this shjt! :deal:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason I asked was because those tubes are supposedly insanely tough to get out. My actual first thought was this. I almost PM’d you, should’ve as you seem to know this shjt! :deal:
That is what I would use, personally. I have some on hand. I used it for the drain and fill plugs on the transfer case and front axle. It was either that one or some variation of the Permatex sealant. But, for the oil fill tube, I'd go with the high temperature variation (as shown in the photo).

It won't dry though, but as long as you don't use an excess amount, that won't be a problem. A light coat on the threads is all you need. You probably don't need to coat all the threads either. Probably just the mid to top threads (towards the top of the fill tube), leaving the lowest threads dry.

As far as removing the tube, heat it up with a heat gun: 350 degrees, low setting, around the circumference of the tube for a minute should work.

It looks like it has a hex towards the top? Either an adjustable wrench or one of those wrenches they used for plumbing would probably work.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as removing the tube, heat it up with a heat gun: 350 degrees, low setting, around the circumference of the tube for a minute should work.
Thanks, I figured I’d get truck up to temp first, then see what happens. Can apply heat as well.
So there isn’t a sealer that dries?

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I figured I’d get truck up to temp first, then see what happens. Can apply heat as well.
So there isn’t a sealer that dries?
I can't think of one at the moment. If you want something dry, Teflon tape might be an option. Just stretch the tape to make it narrower and apply it to the mid to top threads. Would work like a charm I'm sure.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loctite/Permatex 592 is a fabulous anaerobic thread sealer...on "active" metal fittings. "Active" being steel, iron, brass; not so much stainless steel and not at all aluminum, or steel/iron/brass that's been plated with non-active coatings.

Using an anaerobic thread sealer, anaerobic thread locker or anaerobic gasket maker on NON-active metal requires the use of an "activator/primer/cleaner" such as Loctite 7649.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KKTSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What GM and other manufacturers use as a pre-applied sealer/thread locker, I have no idea except I've never seen a consumer replacement for the stuff until I read about the DRI 516/517 in a previous posting. Thanks for that.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well for the record, I emailed Permatex and none of their Sealants are recommended for a plastic oil fill tube.

“Unfortunately our sealers will not seal plastic threaded fittings. Our thread compounds can weaken and damage plastic fittings #1, #2 our sealants will not bond and seal polypropylenes and polyethylene plastics.”