Thread Locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has an o-ring, it shouldn't need thread sealant.
Well, it’s common they weep(a better word for it), and they also have sealant and an o-ring originally.
You must be registered for see images attach

I also think the sealant acts more of a locker as it needs to be stable while screwing and un screwing the cap.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recognize the part. Is it hard to access?

The permatex thread sealant goop works well, but is messy! Thread tape would work too.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The permatex thread sealant goop works well, but is messy! Thread tape would work too.
Permatex has already confirmed it won’t work:
“Unfortunately our sealers will not seal plastic threaded fittings. Our thread compounds can weaken and damage plastic fittings #1, #2 our sealants will not bond and seal polypropylenes and polyethylene plastics.”
no need to overthink it
Under thinking it might allow it to spin, which has been noted by some and what you don’t want. I’m just gonna give it a quick wrap of Blue Monster PTFE tape. The point of the “thread” :D
was just to see if anyone knew what it was that GM used originally on the threads. So far, no one does.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Permatex has already confirmed it won’t work:
“Unfortunately our sealers will not seal plastic threaded fittings. Our thread compounds can weaken and damage plastic fittings #1, #2 our sealants will not bond and seal polypropylenes and polyethylene plastics.”

I used it for the PVC lines coming off my backflow preventer to my pool's autofill.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well for the record, I emailed Permatex and none of their Sealants are recommended for a plastic oil fill tube.

Makes sense. I tried using Loctite on some steel screws going into plastic a few years ago and it damaged the holes.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a thread locker for plastic, but I don't recall where or what company made it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And for more information on plastic to metals, this is an email from Loctite brand:

The Loctite® consumer division offers two thread lockers at your local retail store:

Unfortunately, we do not have a product for your application.

The Loctite® consumer division offers two thread lockers at your local retail store:

• 242 Blue (Removeable) – For use on metal fasteners 1/4” (6 mm) to 3/4” (19 mm) in diameter
  • 271 Red (Permanent) – For use on metal fasteners up to 1” (25mm) in diameter
Thread lockers will cure when the following two conditions are met:

1. When there is an absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces (anerobic).
  2. The metal fasteners need to be an active metal, such as iron, plain steel, nickel, copper, brass, bronze, and aluminum w/ copper (6061). One exception to this rule is our Loctite 242 Blue which is suited for stainless steel and plated metal surfaces.”

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this feeling that Loctite has misunderstood the application.

Tell them it's plastic, and threaded, and when new, has a factory-preapplied, dry chemical sealer packed into the threads. You want something that replaces the factory-preapplied dry, hard, goo.