The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 92 silverado with a bell tech 4/6 drop. professionally done 14 years ago rides like a Caddy! I would like to go with a 5/7 drop now here is my concern 1) Will i be sacrificing my ride quality? 2) Will pinion angle have to be re set? 3) What will it take to lower the rear that one inch? 4) Will a 3" dropped set of coil springs up front do the job? (I will be rebushing my front end shortly) 4/6 is cool but 5/7 looks cooler I have Eagle alloy 17's and plan on going back to original stock factory rally 15's But if it means having to nurse my truck up and down the road and being a pain to drive I'll keep the 4/6 thanks all in put will be appreciated.

First of all, in my experience, going with a 3" lowered spring causes the truck to ride too soft and bottom out more often. I prefer to cut half a coil or more to achieve the additional drop. It firms up the ride just enough to tame the front end, but not enough to cause a harsh ride. In the rear, expect to use a wedge, if you don't end up needing one, you'll be one of the lucky few. The biggest problem you'll run into in the back is the shocks. They are at such an extreme angle that they're basically not there. Tends to get bouncy. If you run an auxiliary overload airbag, helps to tame it a bit. The proper way to fix this is to make the shocks more upright.

i personally will not cut A-arms to clearance for wheels. I know there are thousands of them running on the street, but I didn't build any of them-and I have fixed a few that either broke or bent. So, again, I won't do this. So, I would urge you to keep the 17s.

As far as how to drop the rear, there's a couple ways. One is to do the shackle, and all of the above advice holds. You can also use a drop spring set, and maybe a lift shackle-you get better angles this way. You could conceivably use a one inch block because you already have a flip kit, but I've never done it that way.

Good luck, hope it works out.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
I'm trying to hunt down a 20" 8lug wheel ive checked tires.com tire rack. Nothing really catches my eye. I'm leaning towards a 5 or 8 spoke wheel. Something clean.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'm trying to hunt down a 20" 8lug wheel ive checked tires.com tire rack. Nothing really catches my eye. I'm leaning towards a 5 or 8 spoke wheel. Something clean.

Any ideas?

Yes! Diesels!

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Let me simplify my question. How low can you go on a 30" tire?
Adam

Last edited:

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did everyones flip kit come with 2 different sized bolts? The ones that hold the thing that goes ontop of the axle and bottom of it. If in what positions are which?

Boston71

Reaction score
Now this might be a really stupid question... I've lowered a 4x4 suburban shackles and December decranked keys. The block below the key could it be removed and weld a plate with a nut to the cross member and use it for adjusting. Thanks in advance

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i assume you could but make sure thei piece is thick enough and structured enough.

in other news i left the 4wd world for awhile and sucesffully did a 5/6 drop for a customer, i forgot to take pics though

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay time for another stupid question by me :x

My truck has about 3inchs of rake measured from wheel wells to ground- i want to lower it, but i want to keep the rake look- so i was thinking between 2 and 4 inchs front and rear- maybe buy a hanger shackle and drop spindle kit from lmc and buy the drop coils also to do 4in all around- my questions are- will this affect pinion angle? (I dont think it should but im also not the best with this stuff) and does anyone have pictures of a truck dropped an even amount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys ive been looking at my wheel wells and im wondering if anyone knows how low i can go on 31s without hitting bump stops every 2 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
In order to keep your rake just drop the same amount front and rear. If you do 2" up front do 2" in the rear. Are toy looking at 31s up front you could do a 2/4 drop and run a 31 in back and like a 29 up front that would get you rake and tuck some tire in the back kinds a hot rod look.