The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks 4/7. 4/6 still has a bit of a rake. These trucks need a 3" diff in height Fr>Rr to ride level.
A 4/6 doesn't quite tuck the rears, as your's does.
Good looking truck!
Thanks bro, Since that photo Ive had the "under bed/above frame step notch" done because it was bottoming out on the old C notch/axle housing. Now it has clearance and I installed 2" shackles also, But the tires would rub on the driver side fender lip. I since radiused the lip further and bought a smaller tire, down from 255/55 18 to 235/55 18 and I'm in the clear now, FINALLY.
Not cheap to do but its the only path to "lowdown" where it sits level. I could go down about another 1" if I let air out of the shocks but Im happy with the stance now :burnout:
I was going to get new wheels (20") and tries but for now Im pretty hapy with the American Racing, every one has the bigger wheels it seems
Bobby V

You must be registered for see images attach

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1994 C2500 Silverado Light Duty (6 Lug Wheel) that I want to lower 4/6.
Having a hard time determining if I am going to need anything special outside of a drop kit like the Beltech 701SP or the DJM version of the same.
My concern is that the read end on the Light Duty is a 14-Bolt and I understand some Flip Kits may not work for it.
Can anyone point me in a right direction?
On a weird note, I called Mcgaughys as they did not show an actual kit for my vehicle. The employee could not tell me if any of his kits would work for me....thought that was rather strange...
Thanks for any help given!

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
Post here if you have a simple question. This will help keep track of common info and reduce clutter.

hello all. I have an 89 GMC and currently have drop torsion keys, and shackles. im looking for a good pair of 2-3 inch drop shocks. i am leaning twards the nitro drop 2 but all the places i go for the description say oem replacements. anybody running these?

slitterman

Reaction score
looking for info on lowering my 4x4 4door tahoe. just picked it up. its my first ever 4x4
always short beds, extended cabs, c10s old suburbans....all 2 wheel drive.
so can i turn my stock torsion bar bolt down and get a little lower in the front and add drop shackles in the rear...???
like after work tomorrow?

do i need to buy keys ?? and swap out the stocks??? get the tool to do the job etc???

am i better off waiting and getting drop spindles??

flip kit ok to do with no notch?

no plans OR MONEY for bags and the fancy stuff. just not used to being so close to the sky and would like to take some space away asap if possible.

apprecitate any and all the help i can get.

or direction to threads with pics of what im asking about.

thanks

jay from jersey!!!!

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hello all. I have an 89 GMC and currently have drop torsion keys, and shackles. im looking for a good pair of 2-3 inch drop shocks. i am leaning twards the nitro drop 2 but all the places i go for the description say oem replacements. anybody running these?
If you are willing spend a little extra, bilstein makes a quality drop shock good for up to 4 inches. I can't remember parts number, but autozone carries them.

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
looking for info on lowering my 4x4 4door tahoe. just picked it up. its my first ever 4x4
always short beds, extended cabs, c10s old suburbans....all 2 wheel drive.
so can i turn my stock torsion bar bolt down and get a little lower in the front and add drop shackles in the rear...???
like after work tomorrow?

do i need to buy keys ?? and swap out the stocks??? get the tool to do the job etc???

am i better off waiting and getting drop spindles??

flip kit ok to do with no notch?

no plans OR MONEY for bags and the fancy stuff. just not used to being so close to the sky and would like to take some space away asap if possible.

apprecitate any and all the help i can get.

or direction to threads with pics of what im asking about.

thanks

jay from jersey!!!!

Iwent with drop spindles, and shackles to start. i just received my flip kit in the mail at work today. I believe the C notch is highly recommended but i can let you know. Ill mock them up next to frame and post some p[ictures. wont be until tomorrow though. Drop spindles usually turn into replacing ball joint also so thats not a quick route for cheap.

slitterman

Reaction score
actually thinking about looking for good price spindles or a kit if available. i have shackles - not sure if i need that piece that comes with them i see in some kits. looked under the truck today to get an idea of how the notch will work or how hard it might be.... looks like there is a bunch of brackets and stuff right where i think i would need to cut. any pics of your truck now with just spindles and shackles? or if im looking and asking questions in the wrong place please let me know where to go to get info im looking for and pics of lowered 4x4 hoes. thanks

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
actually thinking about looking for good price spindles or a kit if available. i have shackles - not sure if i need that piece that comes with them i see in some kits. looked under the truck today to get an idea of how the notch will work or how hard it might be.... looks like there is a bunch of brackets and stuff right where i think i would need to cut. any pics of your truck now with just spindles and shackles? or if im looking and asking questions in the wrong place please let me know where to go to get info im looking for and pics of lowered 4x4 hoes. thanks

This is probably the best place to look for good answers

This will be your best bet for informative responses. I can take some pictures tomorrow of the shackles to show you how they look installed

slitterman

Reaction score
thanks for pic. well i picked up some 20 inch wheels. wheels on truck i bought were 16 with monster tires that were all cracked up from sitting. 230 5 wheels and tires not bad in my book. i got under the truck and turned the torsion keys a few time to try and see if it would lower truck a bit up front.- after only a few turns- it got real easy. almost felt like the bolt was coming free- so i put it back where it was, and i guess ill look for some spindles or another way to get the front down.

after putting new wheels on i took it for a quick wash. and noticed water dripping in my trunk at car wash. did notice- not till after i purchased the truck and got it home- that under a mat in the back, the rug is discolored and damp- so i guess i got a leak

keep pics and info coming please.

also- is there way to know if the previous owner put a leveling kit on the truck ??? not sure if its at stock height or not

but with the 20s- about 4 1/4 front fender to tire- all the way around.

not sure how to post pics - so when i figure it out, i will post my truck before and now.

slitterman

Reaction score
so i did my front brakes today. needed brakes...
took a look at the rear to see again how hard the flip kit will be. and since i had shackles in the garage, i thought i might.
half way into it i stopped. tuned down the torsion keys a little bit. to see how it would look with the 20s. little bit took the front down a bit. i thought id drop the rear with the shackles... looking at the rear. im wondering how i would get the leaf springs out??? looks like the side with gas tank>>>no way to get that bolt off shackle without cutting. ??? is that what you guys do?? cut them out? if so, what size bolt and nut do i need to buy in advance.

brake job went well. but i dont like the way the front 2 tires stick out!!! guess spending a quick 130 on wheels and tires , yes got me better tires since the tires on the 16s that came with truck were cracked up from the truck sitting so long.
but i do not like the way the wheels stick out up front .
guess i need to find out what the backspace i need is.....live an learn. it dont look awful i just want to order spindles to take the front down some and now am afraid ill have issues.

not much action on this site?? or am i just posting all this in the wrong place??