The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obs jp

Reaction score
I’m doing a 4/6 or 4/7 drop and either want belltech or mcgaughys. I want to run 22x8 and 22x10. Will I have any issue with front hitting inner fenders or outer fender? Will belltech wider front hurt if I run 22? And what is the tallest tire I can run? Thanks

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I run a 255/45-20 on the front of my black truck @ 4/7.
They're slightly taller than the original 235/75-15's. Wider x 20mm.
The 235/75-15's rotate 720x in a mile.
The 255/45's do 716 rev's/mile.
4/7 drop. Belltech spindles. The fender lips have been rolled. Had to do that for about 18" along the top of the W/W opening.
Only place they rub is at the lower rear of the wheel well/firewall.
But then my 275/60-15's rubbed in the same spot too. Only on hard suspension compressions though.
Doesn't hurt the tire but it sure does make a terrible sound.Bzzzzzttt. Takes the paint off in the spot where they touch. No other damage. I keep a spray bomb of HotRod Black behind the seat just for that.

Now as far as running 22's, a 255/35-22 revs at 716.5x per mile, so they are the same height as the 20's on mine & about as close as your going to get to the stock size. The width will work, too.

On the rear, I'm running 295/40-20's. 710 rev's/mile. Speedometer's so close to reading that as stock, there was no need to recalibrate the computer.
Wish I had gone wider, though. There's room.
A 305/30-22 = 712 rev's/mile. So they're slightly shorter than mine.
But those puppies are a whole 12" wide!
1/2" wider than my 295's.
Diggity!

Sig pic's @ 4/6. This is @ 4/7.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

obs jp

Reaction score
I run a 255/45-20 on the front of my black truck @ 4/7.
They're slightly taller than the original 235/75-15's. Wider x 20mm.
The 235/75-15's rotate 720x in a mile.
The 245/45's do 716 rev's/mile.
4/7 drop. Belltech spindles. The fender lips have been rolled. Had to do that for about 18" along the top of the W/W opening.
Only place they rub is at the lower rear of the wheel well/firewall.
But then my 275/60-15's rubbed in the same spot too. Only on hard suspension compressions though.
Doesn't hurt the tire but it sure does make a terrible sound.Bzzzzzttt. Takes the paint off in the spot where they touch. No other damage. I keep a spray bomb of HotRod Black behind the seat just for that.

Now as far as running 22's, a 255/35-22 revs at 716.5x per mile, so they are the same height as the 20's on mine & about as close as your going to get to the stock size. The width will work, too.

On the rear, I'm running 295/40-20's. 710 rev's/mile. Speedometer's so close to reading that as stock, there was no need to recalibrate the computer.
Wish I had gone wider, though. There's room.
A 305/30-22 = 712 rev's/mile. So they're slightly shorter than mine.
But those puppies are a whole 12" wide!
1/2" wider than my 295's.
Diggity!

Sig pic's @ 4/6. This is @ 4/7.

Thank you for y’all the great information. Your truck looks great. I’m buying raceline wheels so I don’t want to mess up ordering them. I recently purchased a 98 Silverado step side with 16000 original miles. Original everything in black with gold bottom. Should come out nice. Lady passed that bought it new and son in-law sold to me.

obs jp

Reaction score
Post some pix!

Getting windows tinted today and next week going to detail and buff entire pickup then order 4/6 and wheels. It’s all stock down to the floor mats. I removed a drop in bed liner but other than that this is what I looks like when I got.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Nice! Mine was an all original one owner when I bought it. A much better starting point than having to deal with someone else's hokey 'engineering'! Lol!
Does that seat have a solid one piece cushion or is it 40/60?
...and a leather wheel, too!

richie219

Reaction score
Spent some time searching here and couldn't find the exact information I'm after so here goes...

98 GMC Sierra with a 3" drop in the rear..
Anyone had trouble with the rear leaf spring rebound clip hitting the bed cross member on a good enough bump?
I'd like to avoid cutting the cross member if possible.

Can the clip be moved forward or will that raise it back up?
Can i replace the clip or would it be better to just
cut the cross member?

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but what size is the castle nut on the lower ball joints? Because I am from NZ 90% of my tools are metric and I dont even have anything close to compare...
The biggest I have in SAE is 1"

Got the front shocks in though before the rain came so not a complete waste of time...

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really? Some of the aftermarket stuff for these must be SAE then.
That would explain why I have been using both. I ended up using an adjustable wrench (hate them) but got one in, hopefully get the other in today. Thanks.