The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slitterman

Reaction score
It's only been a few hours since your last post, plus it's Memorial Day...

copy that. my bad.
aslo. question
does my truck or shall i ask, should my truck have springs up front? looking through different threads and i see some of my body style trucks are lowered with lowering springs?? i was looking at that as a cheap option. and today while under the front end i did not see springs. i replaced my shocks 2 days ago- front only. someone put edelbrock shocks all around but when i go the truck there was a clanking coming from the front driver side. and when i looked i noticed there was no bushing . just a bolt
so i got some cheap shocks to put in for now. noise is gone.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
does my truck or shall i ask, should my truck have springs up front? looking through different threads and i see some of my body style trucks are lowered with lowering springs??

Nope. On the 4X4s, the torsion bars are your front springs. Hence turning the keys to adjust tension and therefore raise or lower the front end. Only the 2WDs had coil springs up front.

slitterman

Reaction score
its cool man. im new to the 4x4 world. usually c10's or obs pick ups. old suburbans etc. so new to the 4x4 world. and now lowering a 4x-
thanks again

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
thanks for pic. well i picked up some 20 inch wheels. wheels on truck i bought were 16 with monster tires that were all cracked up from sitting. 230 5 wheels and tires not bad in my book. i got under the truck and turned the torsion keys a few time to try and see if it would lower truck a bit up front.- after only a few turns- it got real easy. almost felt like the bolt was coming free- so i put it back where it was, and i guess ill look for some spindles or another way to get the front down.

after putting new wheels on i took it for a quick wash. and noticed water dripping in my trunk at car wash. did notice- not till after i purchased the truck and got it home- that under a mat in the back, the rug is discolored and damp- so i guess i got a leak

keep pics and info coming please.

also- is there way to know if the previous owner put a leveling kit on the truck ??? not sure if its at stock height or not

but with the 20s- about 4 1/4 front fender to tire- all the way around.

not sure how to post pics - so when i figure it out, i will post my truck before and now.

i believe the only leveling kit someone would have installed would be larger shackles

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
thanks for pic. well i picked up some 20 inch wheels. wheels on truck i bought were 16 with monster tires that were all cracked up from sitting. 230 5 wheels and tires not bad in my book. i got under the truck and turned the torsion keys a few time to try and see if it would lower truck a bit up front.- after only a few turns- it got real easy. almost felt like the bolt was coming free- so i put it back where it was, and i guess ill look for some spindles or another way to get the front down.

after putting new wheels on i took it for a quick wash. and noticed water dripping in my trunk at car wash. did notice- not till after i purchased the truck and got it home- that under a mat in the back, the rug is discolored and damp- so i guess i got a leak

keep pics and info coming please.

also- is there way to know if the previous owner put a leveling kit on the truck ??? not sure if its at stock height or not

but with the 20s- about 4 1/4 front fender to tire- all the way around.

not sure how to post pics - so when i figure it out, i will post my truck before and now.

Also if you want clearance and do not want your rear end just bouncing anytime you run over a crack i would suggest running the c notch. as of now i am not running a cnotch and and my fifth wheel hitch would smack my rear diff if it could.

slitterman

Reaction score
Also if you want clearance and do not want your rear end just bouncing anytime you run over a crack i would suggest running the c notch. as of now i am not running a cnotch and and my fifth wheel hitch would smack my rear diff if it could.

i will def get the notch with flip kit. but like i said earlier, im just wonder how the guys get the flip kits on. the notch, im guessing will be similar to the one i did on my short bed years ago.

dont see how to get the bolt off the gas tank side. and notice a bunch of brackets/ cross members and what not- that look like they might be in the way or cause issues.

for now, im going to look for drop spindles. then i think ill turn the keys back up a bit. and think if i get the flip kit when i find the right one- saw a kit for 3+ and then read i could use 98 silverado flip kit- buck and change....
but no point putting the shackle i have on if i will flip at some point.

thanks for replying i do appreciate any and all advise.