The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00ccsb454

Reaction score
Ok this should fit perfectly here

99 K2500 crew cab 454
Has anyone had any experience with lowering the front end of these trucks? I know there is a torsion key option but I’m looking to get 3in without losing my 4x4

Thanks for any input

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe the best way would be to do the NBS spindle swap and run a drop spindle. You get a lot more brake options and you should be able to get that extra inch from adjusting your T-bars.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Rojo2...
Maybe they're getting the 3" drop when using the V6 springs under a V8 truck?
I do know that the V6 ones are different part numbers from the V8 springs.
Before I'd even bought a 400, I began gathering parts to lower one. A bud that had had a 454SS when they were new, had plans to lower it, but never did. Gave me the set of dropped spindles & 2" lowering springs out of his stash.
But with my truck being a 6, those springs only dropped it maybe 1.25". Looked like a dog stooped to poop. You know, 'that' look! Lol!
Bought some 2" drop springs for a 6. Hated 'em. They wouldn't put up with my antics! Way too soft.
Dug out the factory springs & cut 1 coil. Ended up being maybe .125" lower than the aftermarket drop springs. Those werre fairly new when I pulled them. Maybe they needed to settle in a bit more with some mileage.
So yea, I can see how the different springs used under different versions of the trucks would yield different results.
I did all this before this forum even existed. Kinda stumbled around in the dark trying to figure it out. One thing for sure, I've gotten good at tearing the front end down!
But since I've been here, the general consensus is that 1 coil = 2".

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had mine for about 3 months now, don't know what drop it has for sure although I did drop the rear another 1" since getting it. I would guess its about a 4-6 or 7 drop, any thoughts ?
Thanks
Bobby V
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Looks 4/7. 4/6 still has a bit of a rake. These trucks need a 3" diff in height Fr>Rr to ride level.
A 4/6 doesn't quite tuck the rears, as your's does.
Good looking truck!

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m running 2” djm drop spindles up front. I want another inch of drop, what’s the best way to do this? Cut a coil, drop spring? I prefer a firmer ride. Thanks for any suggestions.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I’m running 2” djm drop spindles up front. I want another inch of drop, what’s the best way to do this? Cut a coil, drop spring? I prefer a firmer ride. Thanks for any suggestions.

1 coil cut = 2" of drop. Cut 1/2 of one. That'll increase the spring rate a bit. Not all that noticeable with just that much removed.

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rojo2...
Maybe they're getting the 3" drop when using the V6 springs under a V8 truck?
I do know that the V6 ones are different part numbers from the V8 springs.
Before I'd even bought a 400, I began gathering parts to lower one. A bud that had had a 454SS when they were new, had plans to lower it, but never did. Gave me the set of dropped spindles & 2" lowering springs out of his stash.
But with my truck being a 6, those springs only dropped it maybe 1.25". Looked like a dog stooped to poop. You know, 'that' look! Lol!
Bought some 2" drop springs for a 6. Hated 'em. They wouldn't put up with my antics! Way too soft.
Dug out the factory springs & cut 1 coil. Ended up being maybe .125" lower than the aftermarket drop springs. Those werre fairly new when I pulled them. Maybe they needed to settle in a bit more with some mileage.
So yea, I can see how the different springs used under different versions of the trucks would yield different results.
I did all this before this forum even existed. Kinda stumbled around in the dark trying to figure it out. One thing for sure, I've gotten good at tearing the front end down!
But since I've been here, the general consensus is that 1 coil = 2".

Hey Sew- Just saw your response... I really need to find a better way to access these forums as the website is not very mobile friendly for updates.
Anyway, the truck I cut the coils on was a factory 5.7 truck. It currently has a built 388 but I think total weight of everything up front is probably within a 100lbs of factory. I was trying to get 2” to sit like when I had the 2” spindles on it. I measured and cut 2/3 of one coil but without a spring compressor, I wasn’t able to get the spring back in. Once I cut another couple inches of coil (about 3/4 total coil), I was able to get the spring back it. With the spindles, I had 2” of drop exactly compared to factory setup. With factory spindles back on and the cut coil, the truck sits at 2.5” lower on driver side and 2.25” lower than stock on pass side. Could be the springs... who knows. Just wanted to point out that you could cut one coil and get more than 2” so be careful.
And yes, after taking apart the front end of 2 trucks 2 times each in the last since January, I feel I’ve gotten pretty good at it myself!