The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Bueler .
Bueler .
Bueler .
Anybody ?
Bueler .

You must be registered for see images attach

Yes, those are the bumpers to the frame over the diff. Their shape allows for a softer progressional compression.
The other piece is for the E-brake. It mounts to the hangar, with the slot facing down. Should be a mounting hole just back of the leaf spring eye.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

These install super easy. Drill 2 holes. Maybe do a little trimming on factory bracket.

Hey Ben,

Do you have a pic of the passenger side upper shock bracket. I may have an issue or 2 installing mine on this side. The truck beds u channel support for the bed floor sets right where this bracket would need to go. Its a long bed truck. I also have a bracket for a rear sway bar bolted in place also where it would attach. See the pic below i have of this area. The finger is pointing to where the u channel is supposed to rest.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Looks like you are gonna have to cut that bed support if you want to run these.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup sho nuff. Also had a nifty solution to my RH Hellwig Sport tech sway bar mount. It was designed for install on a truck with a mounted bed. Now that the bed is out of the way i can mod it to attach better, and not look so much like an add on. The RH shock mount bolted in stuck up almost enough to wedge the swaybar mount between it and the frame. So i fitted it, drilled thru it and the frame. Gonna hit lowes for a longer grade 8 bolt. Will prob cut and mod the other side as well.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i am almost done with this bell tech rear drop kit for 88-98 Chevy GMC. I bought this truck new in 1994 as a special ordered vehicle. I did a pair of 2" drop shackles, and polyurethane spring eye bushings on it probably 18-19 years ago. Everything was damn near plug n play. I figured i would do the front hangars when i eventually have to replace the fuel pump. Job being much easier drilling out rivets when the bed is lifted up. Well the fuel pump finally died at 160K so now its time.

This front spring hanger kit is probably designed with a regular cab and a shortbed in mind. I say this since i had to modify everything a little bit to make it fit a regular cab long bed truck. If doing this to a RCLB and a total novice i would put this mod at a scale of 10 of 10. With 10 being the hardest. I am a mechanic and a car repair type guy i would put it at a scale of 5 of 10 simply because i had all the tools to do this, at my disposal and had to mod quite a bit to make it fit. I am used to this kind of stuff since i have been messing with cars and fabricating stuff at minimum 35 years.

Stuff a novice may not have at their disposal and would need to get to make this a hell of a lot easier on them would include.
1. Cobalt drills 1/8"
2. Cobalt drills 3/8"
3. Unibit step drills (harbor freight)
4. Air operated high speed grinder w cutoff wheel.
I use a 90° angle grinder. Electric one will work but is bulky as heck
5. A chain hoist or some other device to lift bed up to make it easier. An alternate is to round up about 4-6 of your friends, offer em pizza and beer to come and help you lift the bed completely off and set it on saw horses
6. Impact gun. Not required but it sure makes it easier and faster to assemble

Drilling out the rivets is easy peasy. Use a center punch on the center of the head, and drill into the rivet with an 1/8" drill bit. You only need to go in maybe 1/4" deep. I used cobalt bits. A little more money but they arent going to dull out like HSS bits will. After that switch up to a 3/8 bit and drill into the rivet heads. (Do not drill all the way through) Then using a large flat bottom punch, fit it into the 3/8 hole you partially drilled into the rivet, smack the punch with a mini sledge. About 4 to 5 hits is all it takes for the bucked tail to shoot out from the other side of the frame LOL.

You will also need the high speed cutoff wheel to carefully cut into the OEM drivers side spring hanger your removing to remove the parking brake cables from it. Best time to do this is before you drill the hanger off the frame. Exercize caution at this step to not damage the cables. I made 2 cuts to open the hole to remove the grommeted fully sheathed cable first. After that i carefully cut into the spring hanger just enough in 2 spots to weaken the metal around the clipped in cable to where i could break it out with vise grips and remove the second cable.

For starters with the fitment issues once you drill and hammer out the rivets, the new hanger brackets hit the bed to frame mounts at the hanger location on a RCLB. This required me to use an air operated high speed grinder with a cutoff wheel and trim them back so the hangers fit flush with the frame. After that the mounting holes in the frame required opening up. I used a unibit step drill to open up all 8 frame holes. LH side hanger also hit the tail end of a mounting bolt sticking out of the frame, i just ground it flush with the frame. Viola the front hangers now fit the frame.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Part 2 of this install, the spring eye bolts for the hangers line up with the framerails and not below them. This will require the tips of the bolts cut off to allow them to fit without hitting the frame. When looking at it with the wooden stick flush against the hanger as a guide , you can see the bolt sticking out. And then not after its trimmed down.

The drivers side spring mounting bolt doesnt necessarily need to be trimmed down like the passenger side because it incorporates the new emergency brake cable mounting bracket shown in 4th pic. I trimmed it back a little anyways

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Part 3 the parking brake cables. One fits nicely into the bracket, the other is left flopping around. I used a used Adel clamp and drilled a hole in the new bell tech drivers side hanger then i installed the clamp with a self tapping screw to keep it from flopping around. You can also see the trimmed bed box mounting bracket and how it originally interfered with the new spring mount

Last edited:

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice work man. I had to trim those two bolts as well. Yeah, the kit wasn’t exactly just plug and play. There was a lot of grinding and adjusting. It ended up being a lot of work. You installing any kind of driveline alignment stuff? My 4” rear drop came with axle shims and transmission and steady bearing blocks.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wasnt sure if i needed anything for adjusting my pinion angle. Whats the rear axles pinion angle supposed to be at rest with all the standard weight in the truck? I would assume a couple degrees down from level at rest. My kit came with front spring hangers, mounting hardware, frame bumpers, parking brake cable bracket. No instructions sheet lol Thats it.

My 2" drop rear shackles i bought and installed almost 2 decades ago were summit racing brand. I noticed as i started this part of the project my rear leafs had rub marks from the bed U channel support in the back, so i will be notching that today along with notching on the right side for the upper shock plate. I will be taking more pix and adding to this install today for others with a truck like mine thats a long bed. Fuel pump never showed yesterday. Thats the original reason for the bed being lifted. I figured this was the best time to finish the 4" drop i started 18 years ago with drop spindles and drop shackles lol.

On my mopar projects pinion angle is supposed to 2° down at rest because of pinion gear climb on acceleration. I got a Ford 8.8 explorer rear i cut down going under my kids car, i wont be able to set pinion angle on it and weld in the perches until we get the car somewhat back together. But ideally thats the way to do it.

I have a magnetic angle protractor i picked up at "china fright" harbor freight for $4 99 and a 20% off coupon and got a free multimeter with it lol. This $5 tool has been fantastic for figuring small pinion angle adjustments.

I figured ultimately with a 3-4 drop i wouldent need to channel the frame which i do not want to do. So thats as far as i'm going to go. Next stop after i knock out the small dents in the bed and the bed is back on will be to Armorthane for a spray in liner. Its like a rhinoliner, however it takes the UV better than one, and is a harder durometer material. Rhinoliner is softer and chips and nicks up easier, plus the guy agreed to shoot the insides of both barracuda battery trays as part of the deal if i unbolted em and brought them in.

I am looking at a 70 chevy truck bed trailer as a scrap metal trailer i can leave parked next to my shop so i dont beat up my trucks bed anymore. A co worker has one that needs tires, new wiring, wood flooring maybe a rustoleum brush paint job. He wants a couple hundy for it. Might have to put a hundred into it. Some used tires, an ebay rewire kit w led lights, a gallon of brush paint, and weld some metal decking in it. Perfect.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Part 4 The last of the mods to make this fit a RCLB. Installed the upper shock relocating mounts. Bell tech makes the same part to fit both sides. You enlarge the original upoer shock mount holes with a 3/8" drill, and add 1 more 3/8 hole in the frame.

The left side bracket required it to be notched to fit against the frame on this side if not notched the brackets holes will not line up with the original shock mount holes. I suspect this would be the same issue whatever configuration the truck is. I used a drum type rotary file on a straight air grinder and made a radius for it to fit around the frame.

The right side shock relocation bracket on a RCLB hits the bed floor U channel in pic #3 requiring it to be notched pretty far for the right upper shock relocation bracket to fit. This U channel may not even be on a short bed truck.

I plan on installing lower shock extenders, however i will need to wait until my next credit card billing cycle, plus those appear to be a wrench on in 20 minutes type of deal. I highly doubt i will need to cut, or grind anything to make those work.

Last edited: