The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i ended up moving my tie down straps to the middle stake holes, and lifting the bed off and leaving it attached to the chain hoist, then i lowered it onto some saw horses and left some tension on the straps in case a saw horse failed. On the 8 foot bed without a tailgate on, its just about evenly balanced at the center stake holes just slightly more heavy in the front

Removing it completely it easier to cut 2 more bed floor U channels at the back end where the 2" rear drop shackles are. With just the 2" drop at the rear there were rub marks on my springs and on the U channels, so i notched them out to give the springs some travel without hitting. I probably should have removed it completely from the get go.

I also sprayed down the frame and knocked off a bunch of fine clumped dust that was stuck to everything. Knocked out dents in bed floor from underneath, welded up a couple pulled thru spot welds, and welded up some old drilled holes for accessories i no longer have. Did some inner bed bodywork prior to taking it for a spray in bed liner. Frame has minor surface rust on it beneath all the dust and dirt i washed off it, but not the deep assed pitting like the northern trucks end up with.

In closing, i had 3 days of fun working on it. Its fun doing upgrade mods instead of just maintenance repair work. 3rd day was mostly prepping the bed for the Armorthane coating i am going to get sprayed in probably next week. Would i do another one of these? Absolutely not !! LOL however i am pretty happy with height of the 2-4 drop as it sits now. Theres an even space between the tire and wheel openings at the front and back. Truck looks nice and level. I will drive it this way for awhile before i decide on installing 1" drop springs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice work. Took me a few weekends to do my 2/4 drop. Lookin forward to seeing a picture of the truck when it’s all together.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will do soon. Finished up last night around 8pm. Took it for a quick spin to check new fuel pump. Too dark for pix.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at KYB GR-2 shocks for it on all 4 corners. I put some heavy duty shocks in there a number of years back, and it rides hard, i mean fillings shook loose hard. Want to soften up the ride a bit. Its got poly bushings front and a poly bushed rear a 7/8" rear sway bar, and poly bushings on the front sway bar, so i expect a little stiffer ride. I think its down to the shocks now these are probably very stiffly valved I can get these KYB GR-2s which are listed as a stock replacement on rock auto with a rebate. Anybody use them? Good? Bad? Otherwise? Dont really care too too much for a hard sport ride. The roads out here suck, and you feel every bump.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking at KYB GR-2 shocks for it on all 4 corners. I put some heavy duty shocks in there a number of years back, and it rides hard, i mean fillings shook loose hard. Want to soften up the ride a bit. Its got poly bushings front and a poly bushed rear a 7/8" rear sway bar, and poly bushings on the front sway bar, so i expect a little stiffer ride. I think its down to the shocks now these are probably very stiffly valved I can get these KYB GR-2s which are listed as a stock replacement on rock auto with a rebate. Anybody use them? Good? Bad? Otherwise? Dont really care too too much for a hard sport ride. The roads out here suck, and you feel every bump.
Use the bilsteins for lowered versions of these trucks. Very expensive, but if you're keeping the truck, you'll never regret it. They're designed for 2 inch drop in the front an 4 inch rear drop. That's my humble opinion

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres the thing. My roads around here suck like really really bad. My 2" drop on the front is spindles, so shocks are stock length. For the 4" drop rear suspension. I have 2" upper and soon to be 2" lower shock extenders will allow me to run stock length rears as well. I will need stock length shocks, not ones designed for a shorter travel. I cannot run something hard. I have heavy duty shocks on it now, its like theres no give at all. Feels like i'm driving a 1 ton 4x4 dually all over the place.

Last edited:

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use the bilsteins for lowered versions of these trucks. Very expensive, but if you're keeping the truck, you'll never regret it. They're designed for 2 inch drop in the front an 4 inch rear drop. That's my humble opinion

Any links on where I can find these?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I always use KYB gas-a-just shocks on all the lowered trucks I build (and theres been a few) am always happy with the ride and handling-and the lifetime warranty. But Ive only had to replace one in over 20 years.