The Stupid Lift Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
I was about to reply to your first post but you pretty much answered your own questions here. You've got it figured out.

EDIT - Alternatively you could do a 3" body lift. I'd prefer a suspension lift if it were my truck but I know there are several people here running body lifts that like them.

Also I never clarified but yes cranking the bars will increase spring rate and ride quality will suffer.

Also, if indeed the torsion bar crank does affect the spring rate, does that mean if I go with RCX and leave totally uncranked for a 4" lift my front end is going to be under-sprung so to speak?

I don't want 5" of suspension travel when I hit a speed bump.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, if indeed the torsion bar crank does affect the spring rate, does that mean if I go with RCX and leave totally uncranked for a 4" lift my front end is going to be under-sprung so to speak?

I can't speak to the relation of the RCX lift kit front spring rate decranked vs stock, I'm not familiar enough with them.

The answer to why no more than a 2" crank is ride quality and parts longevity though. You also nailed it with the front bump stop issue. I ran my Suburban cranked up almost all the way for a few years with bigger wheels and tires and had to rebuild the whole front end as a result. Ride quality was awful too.

Reaction score
Hi my names Jonah I have a 1990 gmc sierra sle 2wd bone stock except for the 2in drop shackles in the rear. I wanted to replace those with the factory shackles and raise the front 3in to level the truck, however I cant find any front end leveling kits that dont involve coil spacers, Im comfortable with the work required to instal them but it is not my first choice. any suggestions?

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Hi my names Jonah I have a 1990 gmc sierra sle 2wd bone stock except for the 2in drop shackles in the rear. I wanted to replace those with the factory shackles and raise the front 3in to level the truck, however I cant find any front end leveling kits that dont involve coil spacers, Im comfortable with the work required to instal them but it is not my first choice. any suggestions?

2" & 3" (coil or spacer), 4" (spendles), or 5" & 6" (spindles and coil or spacer) are the only options you have for a 2wd truck. I would recommend you avoid the spacers unless you go with a name brand like Daystar because all the cheap spacers are a toss up on what you actually get. My setup is different (4" spindles plus 1" spacers) but I went through 2 no name spacers and I was getting close to 3" from them when all I wanted was about 2" and it caused all kinds of issues in the from end. So I got Daystar 1" spacers.

If I were you I'd just get the Rough Country 2" kit that includes everything you need, 2" coils and a ball joint spacer, and be done with it. You will need either a ball joint spacer or an extended upper control arm (I went with an extended UCA) to be able to properly align the 2wd trucks, especially if you want a 3" spacer. Pay once and be done with the RC kit. If you were to go cheap and get just a spacer or coil by itself, you would have to spend more money on ball joint spacers or extended UCAs just to get the alignment done properly.

But if you really don't want the RC kit, Chassis Tech makes some ball joint spacers for about $60. You need to factor that in with your spacer/coil purchase. If you prefer UCAs (I like the UCAs over the ball joint spacers) be ready to fish out about $500.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience moving/adjusting the position of this trans support bracket on a cradle lift k2500 with Realift TB relocators. The TB brace (and thus the trans support bracket) will have to move backwards on the truck a few inches.

Looking to see what solutions some one else may have used.

You must be registered for see images attach

Facial89

Reaction score
Gonna put a 1 inch lift block under my springs, the blocks came with some 2° pinon shims. The blocks weren't vehicle specific but do I need to use them?

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
since mine isnt 4wd i still would like to squeeze in 35s. it has a 6in spindle lift on it any ?'s
]

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I plan on installing the RCX kit and am not going to do any crank... there is only one other kit or the k2500 and thats by tuff country but the RCX is half the price for a similar style lift (control arm drop brackets + subframe drop). I am running a mild crank + 3 inch body lift and 315/75/16 tires and need to get rid of the stiff ride by thge front crank!

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
I plan on installing the RCX kit and am not going to do any crank... there is only one other kit or the k2500 and thats by tuff country but the RCX is half the price for a similar style lift (control arm drop brackets + subframe drop). I am running a mild crank + 3 inch body lift and 315/75/16 tires and need to get rid of the stiff ride by thge front crank!

I could not find a good figure for the physical/fixed drop measurement offered by the RC kit. But @e30dean Just did one on his 3/4 ton and said he thought it was unlikely that you could only net 4" of lift out of that kit.

I have seen elsewhere on the k1500 RC kit that that bracket is a 4" drop and you crank the next 2" to get the full 6" lift. But I did not see that stated anywhere as being true of the 2500 lifts as well.

Because I did not want a full 6" lift I went with the Tuff Country 14823 kit below with bilsteins. It was about 250 more than the RC kit with their steering stabilizer. And I got far better shocks so I thought it was worth it.

The TC kit is a full 4" bracket. I figure I will net about 4.5" out of it once I get a little preload on the torsion bars.