The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK this maybe more electrical gremlin than interior, but I'm asking here. None of the power door locks work on my Tahoe. I have 3 buttons, the drivers side, passenger side and a slick button on the right post back at the barn doors. I need to fix this asap, because it is bugging the **** out of me at work. I have to lock my vehicle when I have school owned equipment in it, so I have to walk around the damn thing and use my key at every door. (lucky it only has 3)

I done a visual on the fuses, doesn't look like any are blown, but I actually pulled the one labeled PWR door or something and it was fine. I'm sure there is a relay or something I can put 12v to and test this bish, help!! oh great gods of GMT400's

Check for power at the main switch on the driver's side. If it has power, then it may be that the switch is bad. I don't remember about our trucks, but some vehicles route the power for all switches through the master switch, so that if it fails, none will work. If you have no power at that switch, you'll need to track the wire down, and hopefully find the short.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in about 2 weeks when its 100+ you will be highly motiviated to get that fixed lol

Hasn't worked since I've owned it, lol. I just haven't had the cheese to fix it, and have had vehicles without air for so long that it really doesn't bother me anymore. My wife's vehicles, on the other hand, ALWAYS have working air, so we use them on family trips. Daddy just sweats it out...

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check for power at the main switch on the driver's side. If it has power, then it may be that the switch is bad. I don't remember about our trucks, but some vehicles route the power for all switches through the master switch, so that if it fails, none will work. If you have no power at that switch, you'll need to track the wire down, and hopefully find the short.
Have 12v at the switch on the orange wire, and white is unlock shows 12v when I hold it, and lt. blue shows 12v when I hold it. It would appear the switch is working correctly.

This is drivers side. Have not tested the pass side yet.

takkotime

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That bench is a 1990-up, definitely not 88-89... the red 'early production model' bench (for some reason quote never posted.)

kalifornia99

Reaction score
So, there's alot of posts about interior.....Maybe this questions has been asked before but I just wanted to see if ANYONE knows about Replacing the BACK SEAT of 2door Tahoe with a back seat of a 4 Door Tahoe...Do they FIT..? is it Possible..? Too much work..?? I was thinking about getting the back seat of 2000 limited for my 99 2door....ANY IDEAS..? THOUGHTS..? or if this is allready posted can someone put the link on here.....THANKS

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
So, there's alot of posts about interior.....Maybe this questions has been asked before but I just wanted to see if ANYONE knows about Replacing the BACK SEAT of 2door Tahoe with a back seat of a 4 Door Tahoe...Do they FIT..? is it Possible..? Too much work..?? I was thinking about getting the back seat of 2000 limited for my 99 2door....ANY IDEAS..? THOUGHTS..? or if this is allready posted can someone put the link on here.....THANKS

Haven't done this actual swap, but from past experiences with these trucks & swapping seats, I would try/suggest bolting the 4dr seat to the 2dr mounts. (or 'uprights', whatever you want to call'em) This would eliminate any probs that there may be between the 2 vehicle's floor pans.

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't been on a while. lol Anyway, I was wondering if a few things were possible...

1) Would it be possible to use a gauge cluster from a NBS truck? Anywhere from '00-Current ('12) If so, what would/wouldn't work. I.E. Digital Odometer, Digital Readouts on 07-12, Certain warning lights, etc. And how could I fix that.
2) Can I put in cloth seats (Not a leather fan), 60/40 (Front & Rear) from a NBS ('00-'12 I don't care) in my Tahoe (97 LT) and how can I make it work. (Drilling, Cutting, Fabrication, and Seat Belts)
3) I want a new head unit in it, (I need a USB port) Obviously, it will have the CD port in near the top of the head unit and most of the ones I have seen are very skinny, 2"-3" tall. How can I make that fit? and can I utilize the space where the current (original) CD port is as just an empty space to put stuff.
4) I have a sunroof in mine (Sliding) my dad took the fuse out and doesn't know where it goes. (I still have it, it works) Anybody know where it goes or who I can talk to that would know?
5) (Not interior) Can I replace the barn doors with a hatch on the back? If so, do they have rear wipers and can I utilize them?

Thanks in advance for any and all help, I greatly appreciate it.

~Jesse

P.S. I'm sure I'll have more questions later. :p

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1) Would it be possible to use a gauge cluster from a NBS truck? Anywhere from '00-Current ('12) If so, what would/wouldn't work. I.E. Digital Odometer, Digital Readouts on 07-12, Certain warning lights, etc. And how could I fix that.

Anything is possible. For this, you'll have to modify your dash for it to physically fit and then there will be the wonderful task of the wiring issues, which are surely no cake walk.

2) Can I put in cloth seats (Not a leather fan), 60/40 (Front & Rear) from a NBS ('00-'12 I don't care) in my Tahoe (97 LT) and how can I make it work. (Drilling, Cutting, Fabrication, and Seat Belts)

Yes and they will require new mounts to be drilled in the floor.

3) I want a new head unit in it, (I need a USB port) Obviously, it will have the CD port in near the top of the head unit and most of the ones I have seen are very skinny, 2"-3" tall. How can I make that fit?

Buy the dash kit and you're golden. You can get a good one for around $25-30.

You must be registered for see images attach

and can I utilize the space where the current (original) CD port is as just an empty space to put stuff.

You can actually get a factory pocket to replace the CD player. Non-CD equipped trucks came with them.

4) I have a sunroof in mine (Sliding) my dad took the fuse out and doesn't know where it goes. (I still have it, it works) Anybody know where it goes or who I can talk to that would know?

That's not factory, so who knows.

5) (Not interior) Can I replace the barn doors with a hatch on the back? If so, do they have rear wipers and can I utilize them?

Yes you can swap to the tailgate/hatch and they were available with the rear wiper.

Last edited:

ThatDrummerGuy95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks 1badgmc. Now, in response to #2, Will that risk/undermine structural rigidity, strength, or safety? And #5, Mine are the barn doors. Will I need to drill anything to place mounts for the hatchback? I would have to remove the existing hinges since they are designed to open horizontal, not vertical. And would I have to run any wires or anything on the dash switch (turn signal) for the rear wiper?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Have 12v at the switch on the orange wire, and white is unlock shows 12v when I hold it, and lt. blue shows 12v when I hold it. It would appear the switch is working correctly.

This is drivers side. Have not tested the pass side yet.

Pull back the boot in the door jamb and check for broken wires.

They flex every time you open and close the door.

That's a lot of flexing since 1997.

Pretty common fault in older trucks.

Almost always the drivers door wiring as that sees the most use, for obvious reasons....