The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IcicleDBR

Reaction score
Should be the 8th number of your Vin. Here's the chart out of the 1992 Chevy C/K truck service manual.

Attachments

• 20240120_230132.jpg
    20240120_230132.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 15

baddawg

Reaction score
Eric, that I do have. The cast number isn't the question.
The stamped numbers on the front head flange and the one over the timing cover is.
The problem is this is my 1988 dually
And what I decifer is 69 Chevelle ????

Head flange = CJE197066
Over timing case = T06061SB or T0606ASB
LOOKS LIKE A 1, BUT ON SUCH AN ANGLE, MIGHT BE AN "A"

Intimi88tr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I'm assuming you have a TBI because you can pour gas down your intake. You have two of these connectors on top of the TBI, and with the key on they should have 12v. You can check either side of the connector because the ECM is not providing the ground, so you'll see full voltage on both terminals. If you have 12v at both sides of each connector, then you know the problem is downstream, either in the wiring to the ECM or the ECM isn't pulsing the ground to fire the injector.

If you only have voltage on one side of a connector, then either the connector's dorked or the injector is bad.
ok its been a few but its a spider injector which is new, new distributer cap and rotor. new IAC,new TPS, new spark control. timing is spot on..still starts but wont run if only for a second. plugs do smell like gas too. any ideas?

1990 305

Reaction score
Is that ignition advance or crank/cam correlation?? If the latter, then yes that's way off, should be as close to 0 as possible - spark is probably firing into the previous cylinder, which would cause your backfire... The distributor could be just one tooth off, OR it just needs to be adjusted in place - I don't recall if there's enough leeway in the bolt hole to go ~25 degrees off tho. Fuel pressure at 52psi is NOT enough for a properly running truck with the original poppet injector spider, you probably have a fuel pump going out or possibly plugged fuel filter as well. Fuel pumps are common on these trucks, but at least on the 96 you can replace the pump motor as a standalone piece, not have to replace the entire fuel pump and sender body.
Now that the weather has finally warmed up, i got it figured out. The camshaft position sensor mounted in the distributor was bad, im guessing the cheap universal code readers dont put the right labels on all live data info. New fuel pump motor is installed now as well. The Burban is back baby!!