The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made the turn on to open, dry pavement and smashed the pedal at 4:40. Graph shows fuel trims, throttle position, and RPM. That tach dip just after 4:40 is my concern.
See if you can get O2 Sensor feedback on your graph, BLMs are too slow to give you a good indication of AFR when doing this.

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a doozy for yall. Own a 96 k1500 tahoe, recently had an oil line blow so thus had to wash the engine bay. Washed it this morning, around 11am, let the truck sit until 5 or 6 this evening and truck misfires like crazy, wont shift, hardly takes off. I go off roading alot and it doesent mess up when i hit puddles that come clean to my doors and over my hood. What am i missing?

Turbo4whl

Reaction score
Got a doozy for yall. Own a 96 k1500 tahoe, recently had an oil line blow so thus had to wash the engine bay. Washed it this morning, around 11am, let the truck sit until 5 or 6 this evening and truck misfires like crazy, wont shift, hardly takes off. I go off roading alot and it doesent mess up when i hit puddles that come clean to my doors and over my hood. What am i missing?
Condensation in the disturber cap. Quick fix, pull the cap and spray the inside of the cap with WD40.

The WD40 will leave a residue. Think about a new cap and rotor.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The vented cap that United Motor Products makes for the Vortec should help you out on your truck. I live in Houston, Texas where humidity is pretty much the bane of our existence, and have them on both my trucks (97 3500 crew cab and 99 Burb, both 5.7 Vortecs). You also get brass contacts and it's made from better plastic. No I don't get any commission from them or Rock Auto, but I am pleased with the product and feel it's worth the money.

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw them on there and wondered if they were any good. Years ago they used to be pretty good parts but who knows now if they still are