The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Does your tensioner look like this one? There are 2 indicators on it (red arrows), with the belt on they should line up. In this picture the belt is a shade too long, it's to the right of the double bosses. Other tensioners should have some way to indicate this, HTH.

You must be registered for see images attach

I had totally forgotten about the Mark's on the tensioner...:nono:
I'm at work now. Here's the best pic I could find in my phone.

ben2go

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something is out of alignment in the belt system and I mean just barely. It will be near imperceptible to the eye. The power steering pump is a major one if it's recently been changed and then started doing it. I've had this on several vehicles over the year.

1ton-o-fun

Reaction score
Something is out of alignment in the belt system and I mean just barely. It will be near imperceptible to the eye. The power steering pump is a major one if it's recently been changed and then started doing it. I've had this on several vehicles over the year.

Not much info about it's past. I'm technically the 3rd owner, but a guy I barely know got it from the 2nd owner just to flip it. He never put it in his name before flipping it to me. I'm gonna look closer at the pulleys, and the Mark's on the tensioner.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm wrong. I thought there were two marks on the main body of the tensioner, and one on the movable hub.

One mark on the tensioner is the "new belt" mark, that's as much tension as the thing was designed to provide. The second mark is the "worn parts" mark, the least tension the thing can provide and still work acceptably. The movable mark on the hub needs to be between them--not tighter than the "new" mark, not looser than the "worn parts" mark.

There's something like an inch between the two marks.

I haven't researched this in decades. Haven't needed to.

1ton-o-fun

Reaction score

Your power steering flange is flush with the shaft?

Something to rule out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually forgot to check this, but may have accidentally got the answer after all. You can just barely see the recess where the shaft is. Looks like the pulley is walking off a little?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually forgot to check this, but may have accidentally got the answer after all. You can just barely see the recess where the shaft is. Looks like the pulley is walking off a little?

Among other awesome things, this is what the previous owner did on my son’s 98. It chirps when cold. I need to do a bunch of other things to it so will try to reseat it eventually.

Pretty sure the pulley flange with break in the process because, well, that’s just how I roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk