The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99caddymess

Reaction score
Hey, quick stupid question. The motor in my 99 caddy blew up at 260,000 miles. I bought a short block reman and I dont think its a vortec. I haven't looked at it very long so I don't know it very well. I was just wondering, since its not a vortec, then what problems will arise since the new one doesn't have a cps. Or can I swap the cps over to the non vortec motor? Is it even worth it? Thanks in advance

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, quick stupid question. The motor in my 99 caddy blew up at 260,000 miles. I bought a short block reman and I dont think its a vortec. I haven't looked at it very long so I don't know it very well. I was just wondering, since its not a vortec, then what problems will arise since the new one doesn't have a cps. Or can I swap the cps over to the non vortec motor? Is it even worth it? Thanks in advance
See posts #1501-1505, above.
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-put-a-vortec-motor-in-a-tbi-truck.49463/

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
'93 C3500, 5.7, air conditioning, 100 amp alternator, NO air pump. These specifications call for one drive belt, (Let's call it #1)which I bought. Was too long. The SCREAMING belt that was on my truck looked pretty new. Call it #2. The part number on that belt matches 5.7, 100 amp, NO ac or air pump. So I bought a new #2. Problem solved... for a week. Starting to squeak again. Not screaming yet, but it's only a week old.
Tensioner feels good. Could it be the wrong tensioner?
Driving me f-ing nuts!

1ton-o-fun

Reaction score
Worn pulley(s)? Stiff tensioner pulley bearing? Weak tensioner? Failed A/C pulley bearing?

New tensioner pulley, A/C compressor had been replaced by the Dorman bypass pulley. I even replaced that with a new one. This screeching really sounds like bearings... yet the slightest squirt of water on the belt instantly silences it. Hence, why I replaced the belt. It "solved" the problem, but temporarily like I said. Changing each pulley did nothing. But the puzzling part is the standard questions the parts stores ask to determine which belt. My configuration is supposed to be belt #1, which, when installed, has ZERO tension on it. -Too long. I have to use a pipe (1/2 of my floor jack handle) on my 3/8 ratchet on the tensioner for removal/installation of the belt... am I wrong to assume that means the tensioner is nice and tight?
I'm wondering if the tensioner was replaced with one meant for a different configuration than mine?
Guess I'm going to have to ask for one at the parts counter and compare...

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Is there another idler pulley, besides the Dorman bypass pulley? That could be part of the noise. If you have a good wire brush, I would clean each pulley with it, be sure you get as much rust and junk off them as possible. May be some type of contamination on them, that "goes away " temporarily when wet. Very easy for antifreeze to get in those little grooves and that will make a belt talk. Back in the V belt days, I remember seeing guys take a big flat blade screwdriver and carefully scrape the edges of the belt while the engine was idling.
Also, a good trick on replacing a serpentine belt by yourself, is to have a few clothes pins or the small metal spring clamps (the ones about 2 inches long), and use them to hold the belt up on the crankshaft pulley. That'll free you up to get the belt aligned on the other pulleys.

Last edited:

1ton-o-fun

Reaction score
Is there another idler pulley, besides the Dorman bypass pulley? That could be part of the noise. If you have a good wire brush, I would clean each pulley with it, be sure you get as much rust and junk off them as possible. May be some type of contamination on them, that "goes away " temporarily when wet.

Alternator, fake A/C, tensioner, power steering, water pump, and crank. I'm thinking it's the tensioner. Its position at rest, with no belt on it and its position WITH belt on is a good 4" difference. It still has a little more room to move when I flex it to put the belt on, but... I don't know. I've not had this much issue with a serpentine belt before. I've referenced belts at 3 different parts stores and they all ask the same questions about configuration. And how mine is configured calls for a belt that is too long. -Unless I'm supposed to have a tensioner that is longer than mine to apply more tension?
The pulleys look good and debris-free. Another thought is maybe I have something going out? Power steering pump pulley harder to turn? Everything seems fine, I'm just guessing out loud.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's the tensioner. Its position at rest, with no belt on it and its position WITH belt on is a good 4" difference
Does your tensioner look like this one? There are 2 indicators on it (red arrows), with the belt on they should line up. In this picture the belt is a shade too long, it's to the right of the double bosses. Other tensioners should have some way to indicate this, HTH.

You must be registered for see images attach