The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptile1986

Reaction score
I probably broke this line when I replaced the plugs and wires.
What is it?
I can’t find where it went to.
How do I fix it?
1997 GMC Sierra C1500 5.7
You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Goes to the evap canister. You can get an intact line off a donor truck at a salvage yard, not sure if you can still get them new. May be able to just use any old vacuum hose tho. 96-97 are not the same as 98+, keep that in mind if you go looking.

DylChrFla

Reaction score
Is it still the stock TBI setup? Have you modified the cable bracket at all? I would check the throttle and TV cable first. With any kind of shifting issues on a 700R4, you probably want to check the TV cable adjustment first, and before you drive it any distance. If you mash the throttle at 45 mph it should kick down a gear. At 50 mph it shouldn't. TV cable misadjustment will burn up your transmission.

Drive at 45 mph on a level road. Mash the throttle and it should kick down. If not, stop where you are and tighten the cable a couple clicks and repeat until it does kick down.
Drive at 50 mph on a level road. Mash the throttle and it shouldn't kick down. If it does, loosen the cable a click and repeat until it does. Go back to the first step and ensure it kicks down at 45 mph.

My transmission would bang the 1-2 shift and drive nice in other gears. I drained the fluid in the pan and put in a new filter. I tried adjusting the TV cable and couldn't get it to clear up. The transmission started slipping, and when I pulled the transmission the fluid was black. Two weeks ago I replaced it and immediately adjusted the TV cable. It seems to run fine now.

I am still using the stock tbi setup but I have removed the tbi from the bracket several times. I haven’t messed with the TV cable at all and could be possibly out of adjustment. But I am still getting the kickdown @45 and even up to around 50-55. At full throttle it seems that the shift points are delayed and the motor over revs.

Last edited:

Scott Martin

Reaction score
Post here if you have a simple question. This will help keep track of common info and reduce clutter.
My obs 99 Yukon bogs down if I give it a decent amount of gas to get up to cruising speed which is around 50-60mph,i have to back off the gas or take my foot off completely and wait for it to clear itself out which on average is around 12 seconds and when it does it changes like a light switch was turned on. Other than that it runs pretty strong with 294,000 miles on it.

Jiffykids

Reaction score
Ok, I got one.
I need to change out my cluch fan.
Do I put a clock wise, or counter clock wise unit on?
Do you count it when you stand at the grill and look at the motor. Or when you're in the front seat?
On mine 98 C3500 7.4L it turns counter clock wise at the front of the truck and clock from the front seat.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stand at the grill and look at the engine to see which way fan rotates. Counter-clockwise or reverse on the serpentine belt models.