The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer an all-aluminum,
I agree I dont care for the plastic either.
Here's what I bought almost 3 years ago, IIRC. It's a little thicker than stock so I trimmed the cowl back and split a fuel line hose to seal/insulate it to the radiator. You can search here for whatever one fits your application. Nice clean welds and looks good.

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/Product/222481/1031106#vehiclefitmenttab

You must be registered for see images attach

You can barely see the filler neck and other connections for overflow, heater core, and trans cooler. It came with an oil cooler on the other side but, I don't have one.
You must be registered for see images attach

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not an engine question but stupid nonetheless, should a floor jack or jackstand (pair) rating be for the entire GVW or half? I have a 95 Silverado with a sticker weight of 8900 lbs. Will 3-ton suffice or do I need to step up to 6-ton?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will 3-ton suffice or do I need to step up to 6-ton?
3T jack stands will work plus, there's always a safety margin on ratings (unless it's defective), but If I'm crawling around under a 4-1/2T vehicle, I'd have the biggest ones I can afford and have my floor jack under it for back-up. Especially if I had Pittsburgh ones!

For example, when I worked for Werner Ladder, our ladders were designed with a 4:1 safety margin meaning, if a ladder was rated @250LBs (1A), it was designed and tested @ 1000LBs.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
when I worked for Werner Ladder

Not sure if I've commented on this before but I've seen you mention it a couple times. Thanks for helping keep my crazy dad alive. :lol: He runs a residential framing business and he's used Werner ladders exclusively for the last 30+ years. He swears up and down there's nothing else worth buying. I've lost count of the yellow Werner step ladders we've got floating around.

xjsciortino

Reaction score
Weird question and hopefully I can get a quick reply for this. My truck leaks coolant and it drips down and exits in front of the driver side front tire. It only does this when I decide to drive this truck to work and I cannot get it to recreate this leak to further investigate it. My work is really close to my apartment. Maybe a 5-10 minute drive. Of course my work doesn’t tolerate leaks so I can’t get a good view of the leak. I’ve drove it back 400 miles when I bought it and no issues whatsoever. I continually drive it around town and 45 minute plus trips with no leak whatsoever. Any idea where the leak is from or how to recreate the leak in a controlled place?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Weird question and hopefully I can get a quick reply for this. My truck leaks coolant and it drips down and exits in front of the driver side front tire. It only does this when I decide to drive this truck to work and I cannot get it to recreate this leak to further investigate it. My work is really close to my apartment. Maybe a 5-10 minute drive. Of course my work doesn’t tolerate leaks so I can’t get a good view of the leak. I’ve drove it back 400 miles when I bought it and no issues whatsoever. I continually drive it around town and 45 minute plus trips with no leak whatsoever. Any idea where the leak is from or how to recreate the leak in a controlled place?

They sell a pressure test kit. I would try 2 things visually check and look at all hoses, connections, water pump and reservoir tank. 2 install the pressure kit. Pump it up and then visually check. Could be something more serious btw like a head gasket.. dont forget to check you freeze plugs