The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plan on replacing the radiator too. If it's the original equipment, chances are it's plugged up. Wouldn't be a bad time to knock out lower intake manifold gaskets either.

I would pull the drains once finished to fully drain the block, and remove the thermostat before flushing.

Definitely an aftermarket radiator installed who knows when. Coolant looks like Dexcool, rust and maybe some green coolant and Miller Lite tossed together. Kind of surprised the pump can move it around. This radiator may be destined for the trash heap- that rubber port cap under the radiator cap is an issue waiting to happen. I hate those things.

Coolant reservoir had a puddle of red orange baby diaper sludge in the bottom. Y’all know what I mean.

This is my son’s first truck so I now have three 98 models sitting in the driveway. He’s anxious to learn how to work on it...think he might get his wish on that.

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Oh yeah, re: that little button... Mine rotted off while I was test-driving my travel trailer around the neighborhood, so that was great! What the heck is that nipple even there for anyway...

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picking up a 98 K1500 (350) today. It has this nasty coolant that looks like it was Dexcool in another life and I want to swap it for the regular green.

They sell these back flush kits where you connect a water hose to a tee at the heater hose inlet, run the engine and watch it empty through the radiator cap opening all over the place.

Questions:

1. Is this sufficient to clear all the old coolant out so I’m not mixing new green with old Dexcool?
2. Would the thermostat be left in place or gutted out? Seems like it would have to be gutted or removed and a gasket found.
3. To get all the tap water out, would you suggest pulling the knock sensor and other drain plug on the block?

I bought a 95 Silverado that the radiator had all kinds of rusty floaty scum in it. I drained it at the lower hose, removed the t-stat and bolted it back up with a paper gasket. Then ran it for a couple of days with Evaporust Coolant System cleaner. What came out was tar black water and lots of crumbs.

Then I did the same process about 5 times with grocery store distilled gallons of water (didn’t drive it with only water, just ran it enough to get warm). Replaced the t-stat and filled with yellow. Staying pretty clean now.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 95 Silverado that the radiator had all kinds of rusty floaty scum in it. I drained it at the lower hose, removed the t-stat and bolted it back up with a paper gasket. Then ran it for a couple of days with Evaporust Coolant System cleaner. What came out was tar black water and lots of crumbs.

Then I did the same process about 5 times with grocery store distilled gallons of water (didn’t drive it with only water, just ran it enough to get warm). Replaced the t-stat and filled with yellow. Staying pretty clean now.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I’ve gotten it to stay reasonably green for now, but I think the previous owner ran it with majority water for a while since it’s rusty. I’ll run it for a while and change it again (and again, probably). Slowly getting there...

Jehu

Reaction score
I just failed smog for the first time I can remember.
1994 K1500 / V8
331 PPM HC (220 allowed)

This truck sits unused most of the time. I think it went about 5 or 6 weeks without being started just before needing to get the smog.

Plugs/wires? Clean injectors? fuel additive? Ideas?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cc? Maybe

1994 K1500 / V8
331 PPM HC (220 allowed)

This truck sits unused most of the time. I think it went about 5 or 6 weeks without being started just before needing to get the smog.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1994 K1500 / V8
331 PPM HC (220 allowed)

Well did the shop say why you failed?