The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I have a real dumb/stupid engine question. are 305 tbi and 350 tbi starters the save as 305 vortec and 350 vortec starters?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picking up a 98 K1500 (350) today. It has this nasty coolant that looks like it was Dexcool in another life and I want to swap it for the regular green.

They sell these back flush kits where you connect a water hose to a tee at the heater hose inlet, run the engine and watch it empty through the radiator cap opening all over the place.

Questions:

1. Is this sufficient to clear all the old coolant out so I’m not mixing new green with old Dexcool?
2. Would the thermostat be left in place or gutted out? Seems like it would have to be gutted or removed and a gasket found.
3. To get all the tap water out, would you suggest pulling the knock sensor and other drain plug on the block?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would change it/flush it.. since its drained I also replace thermo,hoses if need be, and anything else you see needing replacement.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Plan on replacing the radiator too. If it's the original equipment, chances are it's plugged up. Wouldn't be a bad time to knock out lower intake manifold gaskets either.

I would pull the drains once finished to fully drain the block, and remove the thermostat before flushing.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plan on replacing the radiator too. If it's the original equipment, chances are it's plugged up. Wouldn't be a bad time to knock out lower intake manifold gaskets either.

I would pull the drains once finished to fully drain the block, and remove the thermostat before flushing.

I 2nd that. Also recommend the wide core(hd)

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So to run it without the thermostat would I just tear the middle stuff out? Reason being that it doesn’t have a separate gasket.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
When I did the flush on my old Blazer, I pulled the gasket off of the thermostat and stuck it in there by itself. Probably not ideal, but it did work.

Alternatively, I believe there is a gasket specifically for the t-stat housing, if you really wanted to be sure of having no leaks....while you're emptying the system anyway? Lolol

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did my flush I removed the t stat. And just bolted the housing back. Idled in the driveway ran both heaters full blast then let it cool down before draining it again. Also clean out your overflow tank. Lot of junk collects in there

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol, Y’all have a good point...worrying about a gasket on something that is dumping coolant all over the place doesn’t make much sense does it. I appreciate the input, going to get into it this weekend probably.