The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm working my way through the engine bay to clean up the idle on my "new" 95 K2500 Burb. Fixing vacuum leaks, cleaning the throttle body, new plugs/wires, IAC is in the mail, etc. But I'm not sure what some of these connections are for on the 7.4L.

The arrows are pointing to the line that snapped in half when I popped the end off the throttle body (it probably had a hairline crack that I didn't notice). What is it connected to in the bottom left, and does anyone know the vac line size to replace it?

You must be registered for see images attach

Same questions for these oily plugs on the back. They join into a tee fitting but I have no idea what they're doing. They don't fit well (old dried out rubber) which explains the oil, so I'd like to replace them, too. (EDIT: This is the MAP setup, isn't it?)

I just don't know what terms to use to find replacements.

Edit: OH! Another dumb question. I just replaced the upper radiator hose because it sagged JUUUUUUUUST enough to interfere with the fan blade. You can probably guess how well THAT worked out. How is the hose supposed to be supported up and out of the way? A picture would probably be easiest, if someone's got one handy.

Last edited:

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm working my way through the engine bay to clean up the idle on my "new" 95 K2500 Burb. Fixing vacuum leaks, cleaning the throttle body, new plugs/wires, IAC is in the mail, etc. But I'm not sure what some of these connections are for on the 7.4L.

The arrows are pointing to the line that snapped in half when I popped the end off the throttle body (it probably had a hairline crack that I didn't notice). What is it connected to in the bottom left, and does anyone know the vac line size to replace it?

Same questions for these oily plugs on the back. They join into a tee fitting but I have no idea what they're doing. They don't fit well (old dried out rubber) which explains the oil, so I'd like to replace them, too. (EDIT: This is the MAP setup, isn't it?)

I just don't know what terms to use to find replacements.

Edit: OH! Another dumb question. I just replaced the upper radiator hose because it sagged JUUUUUUUUST enough to interfere with the fan blade. You can probably guess how well THAT worked out. How is the hose supposed to be supported up and out of the way? A picture would probably be easiest, if someone's got one handy.

Look like common vacuum line elbows, but specifically for what, I couldn’t say. Just pull them off and take them to your local auto parts store, or get an assortment pack.

Radiator hose - mine sits in a cradle built into the fan cowl / guard. ‘95 350 TBI.

Last edited:

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This just started recently, when at full stop in drive (red light or whatever), engine stumbles a little, more prominent with the AC on. Putting it in neutral or park seems to clear it up since it idles a little higher. IAC or do I need to go searching for leaks. Brakes have gotten a little soft lately - could it be my brake booster?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look like common vacuum line elbows, but specifically for what, I couldn’t say. Just pull them off and take them to your local auto parts store, or get an assortment pack.

Radiator hose - mine sits in a cradle built into the fan cowl / guard. ‘95 350 TBI.

I don't have a cradle, just a hole drilled through the top of the cowl where a couple of zip ties tried and failed to hold it out of the way. It was fine until I probably leaned on it while changing the rear plugs, then during the test run the fan blades nearly cut through within about 30 seconds of runtime. I've replaced the hose and initially it was well above the fan, but heat has helped it dip enough that I'm not driving it until I figure out a solution.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I don't have a cradle, just a hole drilled through the top of the cowl where a couple of zip ties tried and failed to hold it out of the way. It was fine until I probably leaned on it while changing the rear plugs, then during the test run the fan blades nearly cut through within about 30 seconds of runtime. I've replaced the hose and initially it was well above the fan, but heat has helped it dip enough that I'm not driving it until I figure out a solution.
My 99 Burb is a tree fiddy (5.7 vortec ) instead of a 454, but it has a little metal bracket on the a/c compressor bracket that holds the radiator hose up. There's also a groove in the fan shroud, but this is closer to the engine where it is needed.
Truck had just been running hard so hose was too warm to lift up off the little bracket. The new hose came with the armor on it, and I added a layer from the old hose. That will also stiffen it up some, it's just big plastic wire loom.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a vortec 5.7 too. What I did was use a loom for 18wheelers air lines and It fit pretty good to protect most of the rubber. Then I used the hose loom as extra protection on the part that rubs against the metal. I know your set up is different for tbi but you can still do the extra protection for that. Just may need more loom then the vortecs.