The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe like 200 in labor? If all goes really well you can gear an axle on a bench in like 60 minutes, depends on how many times they change the shims.

Front axle on 1500 is a 8.25

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok 97 heavy half with 10 bolt (thought it should have been a 14sf but oh well) GU6.... looking at gears but know if it is series 3 or not. Not even sure what the hell that means LOL

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and why the hell cant I find 4.88s on summit for the front? I must be doing something way wrong! Not only can I not sleep but I cant even put my shopping cart together on a website....... times like this that make it hard to quit smoking

edit: Sorry bout that, Im getting frustrated. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

88lsx

Reaction score
i just got a 14 bolt but don't know much about it. It has disc brakes and feels like it has a limited slip. so the question is what year did they start to put disc brakes on it and how can i tell what kind of limited slip or locker it has. It's suppose to have 411 but haven't checked that yet any info helps thanks

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I believe it was early model NBS trucks (00-02) that got disk brakes. To check the gear ratio (or get a close estimate) count how many times the yoke spins when you spin the tire one revolution, if it rotates a little over 4 times its 4.10s, if its 3 3/4 its 3.73, etc.

MeanGreenZ71

Reaction score
My front axle seal is leaking on my 95. Its on the drivers side where the CV enters the pumpkin. Im assuming thats called the axle seal. How hard is this to replace? Can I do it without dropping the front diff? Any special tools or pullers? Ive replaced my front hubs/bearings before so I have the large socket for the axle nut...

cris well

Reaction score
i found a 6-lug 14 bolt SF with 3.73 limited-slip.

it's from an 88-98 2500 but i don't know if it was a 2wd or 4wd.

are they the same width or different?

also is it gonna be a G80 gov-lock unit?

97k1500z71

Reaction score
Ok here goes the stupid question for me. Ran into a guy running a dually dodge, claimed he'd getting 38 mpg. So I asked how. He said he's running a splitter on the axle to reduce the engine rpm's. I would assume he meant on the transfer case but I may be wrong. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

first of all, ive seen you around town and your truck in auto and rv, secondly, a split rear end is the same as any HEAVY duty truck, it shifts from hi to low gear (like a low 3.42 or high 4.88) on the rear end input pinion gear id assume, another old school way i dunno if they still do it is it would mount on the back of the transmission or in front of the transfer case, and be the same idea...

rolla711

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is there anyway on finding out what the axle spline qty. is? with out pulling it apart? my code was gu6