The Stupid Axle Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok here goes the stupid question for me. Ran into a guy running a dually dodge, claimed he'd getting 38 mpg. So I asked how. He said he's running a splitter on the axle to reduce the engine rpm's. I would assume he meant on the transfer case but I may be wrong. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

assuming he has a cummins, 30mpg is very possible my cousin can't keep his foot out of it and he gets 18-25 mpg. with a chip exhaust a good clutch and some other stuff he would easily get a 30-35 but then again i know few guys with diesels that can keep them clean and not roll coal at every stop sign or goin threw the gears

Reaction score
What up guys, i'm new to this forum. I'm actually new to gmt-400's since jan 20th, bought my first 1991 gmc reg cab step side. getting to my question, i'm want a locker rear end for my 2wheel drive. what are the specs on the stock v6/5 speed rear ends. Do they have the 8.5 10 bolts as well? or lesser rear ends. was looking at summit at the eaton electronic elocker differentials. if anyone has experience, would it be cheaper to build my rear end up, or just get a different rear end? i'm not going for any hardcore racing or mudding, but i do live down a dirt road and will be towing jetski's, could really use lockers in the rear.

Bertiespeed

||*||CDNP 4 life
Reaction score
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)

This may be a dumb question but Those are the 2 rpo codes on my glove box so im assuming i have a 3.42 posi or am i reading this wrong ?

Last edited:

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear End Vibration

So I just put my 33s on my stock '97 Chevy 1500. And driving back after having them put on I noticed the rear end was shaking and vibrating a lot more than it did before. So I stopped to check it out and the driver side brake drum was REALLY hot, but the passenger side was fine. Before I put the tires on I took off the drum to make sure everything looked fine and there was enough pad left, but the drum was old and really rusted. So my question is what can be causing this bad vibration. My first thought was a locked up brakes and causing it to catch and vibrate. But it seems to only happening when I am going 60 mph+. So my next thought is a rear wheel bearing? Wondering what you guys think it would be

La 90sierra

Reaction score
i got a pretty dumb question. i just installed today a positrac system. i have a 90 sierra with the 10 bolt cover. it has 3.08's since i opened it up and counted. now here is the question. it will spin sometimes with both wheels when i do a stand still. but most of the time it will grab with one. it is low on oil. will this cause it to not properely function. any help would be appreciated.

will post a short clip soon.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
gq1, going off the post at the beginning of the tread is normal ratio lol. the next code is a diff lettering ill run out and look at it.

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

i think its awesome you can tell what your vehicle had in it by the glovebox codes. Now to google to find out what all these things mean lol.

joshjuniorr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i just downloaded a complete RPO list for GM but i dont know how to upload a pdf if anyone else knows how let me know so we can get it posted for everyone pls

Maybe this will solve the mystery as to why the truck is registered/titled as a 2500 but it was badged as a 3500 etc. It has a borg warner transfer case so i'm just guessing it was punched in wrong when it was titled lol, because i remember reading the 1ton trucks had the borg warner instead of a NP transfer.

Last edited: