The real differences in 700r4/4l60/4l60e transmissions by year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I reported this thread last week via the "Contact Us" link and provided a link to the thread.
You must be registered for see images attach

Is it safe to assume the people in orange are moderators?

attachment.php

the 'contact us' link only sends an e-mail to the webmaster, who is usually the admin, us mods, or other admins don't see those at all so we can't help with anything that is sent via the 'contact us' link....actually reporting the thread (the little triangle with the exclamation point in it at the lower left of each post) will alert all mods and admins of something. usually it's only used for reporting abuse or spam or bad things, but I really don't mind if people report good stuff like this. you're also welcome to PM me, or other mods/admins too.

regardless, I've got it stuck now. :D

Thanks!

EDIT- also, yes the orange names are Mods, and the red names are admins. just FYI for those who weren't aware.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
the 'contact us' link only sends an e-mail to the webmaster, who is usually the admin, us mods, or other admins don't see those at all so we can't help with anything that is sent via the 'contact us' link....actually reporting the thread (the little triangle with the exclamation point in it at the lower left of each post) will alert all mods and admins of something. usually it's only used for reporting abuse or spam or bad things, but I really don't mind if people report good stuff like this. you're also welcome to PM me, or other mods/admins too.

regardless, I've got it stuck now. :D

Thanks!

EDIT- also, yes the orange names are Mods, and the red names are admins. just FYI for those who weren't aware.
Thanks man

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great post.. Very nice reference. 98_k1500 do you mind if I put this on my website? I would add at the end "Late 99 5.3 to 2006". Then in 2007 they added the speed sensor in the pump. On another note, be careful exchanging a 96 to a 98 or early 99. The converter strategy is different on some of these units. Some have carbon clutch, some had woven graphite. If you put a woven where a carbon goes it will give you P1870 fits. If possible doing a swap, its best to keep the right converter with the truck. Mostly on the 96-99.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
You are welcome to use it, just please reference this site. Thanks for asking, I don't mind you using the info at all, thats what i put it out here for. You are welcome to add to it, just do what you can to make sure the info is correct.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can the NBS 4L60Es be swapped into the OBS trucks with the 4wd shifter on the floor? If someone wants to do an LS swap and use the matching 4L60E transmission from the LS engine then would it technically be a fairly direct swap assuming they either use the LS wiring harness or work out the OEM harness so it plugs into the NBS transmissions...

tireddog

Reaction score
im converting a 66 gmc truck to auto and my question is what is the difference between a 700r4 and 4L60 and 4L60e

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
im converting a 66 gmc truck to auto and my question is what is the difference between a 700r4 and 4L60 and 4L60e
Practically nothing.

In 1992 the naming standard was changed. A 700r4 and a 4L60 are the EXACT same thing, with different names. A 4L60e is fundamentally the same thing, but electronically controlled.

-via Mobile

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score

You will probably want to stick to a 700r4 (4l60) for this to stay away from electronics. The 4l60e requires a wiring harness and transmission control module. This would just over-complicate everything unless you are already running fuel injection and your computer is capable of running the trans.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will probably want to stick to a 700r4 (4l60) for this to stay away from electronics. The 4l60e requires a wiring harness and transmission control module. This would just over-complicate everything unless you are already running fuel injection and your computer is capable of running the trans.
Will a 96+ 4l60e fit a 94 ?

Live action!!