The Overhead Console Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
okay so I got the map lights working properly with the dome light/foot lights... but the dome light doesn't come on when it's connected to the other end of the diode. It will when I touch it to the wire that I cut it from. If I understood the directions right, I have the diode wire in with the cathode facing the dome and the anode facing the map lights... did I misunderstand this part and have them switched? :help:

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
looking at dave's diagram, I do have them switched :mad:

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
also the homelink doesn't light up with the headlight switch. ran it to the brown wire like it said and nothng?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
ok so I cut the diode out and switched it around and now all the interior lights are on all the time (door open or closed) and still don't have control of the lights individually... What am I missing?

orange (constant hot OHC) spliced into constant ground (dome light ground)
black (ground OHC) spliced into constant hot (dome orange wire)
wire spliced into both switches and spliced into white dome light wire w/ diode

cdnturboz

Reaction score
So after reading the thread I have two quick questions. On my 97 extended cab will all the brackets that hold the console up be underneath the headliner?

Also I know on other vehicles I have had that they are prewired for other options etc. Are these trucks possibly prewired for the additional map lights that are in the console?

Thanks

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
the 2 slits are under the headliner towards the dome and the hole in the front is there, you just need a screw and the clip. I dunno about your 2nd question

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
So after reading the thread I have two quick questions. On my 97 extended cab will all the brackets that hold the console up be underneath the headliner?

Also I know on other vehicles I have had that they are prewired for other options etc. Are these trucks possibly prewired for the additional map lights that are in the console?

Thanks

I had my headliner out for recovering and measured and cut for the mounting holes while it was out. It's very easy that way. As was posted above, the slots and mounting hole are already there.

As for wiring, on my 97, I had to tap into something for power. Nothing was pre wired. Since my headliner and A-pillar trim were already out, I ran wires down the driver's side A-pillar and hooked into a power wire there (old hookup to now gone alarm). I also ran another pair of wires through there that aren't used for anything in case I want to add a switch or accessory of some kind that needs power. You can tap into the power at the dome light. I tapped into an ignition powered wire so I won't accidently leave a map light on.

-lecroix-

Reaction score
Looking for an overhead console out of a tahoe/suburban with homelink in red/burgandy/maroon/garnet ... whatever you call that color. :)

PM me if you can help a new guy out. Thanks!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking to do this mod on my 1994 k1500 this summer, starting to ***** the yards for a good looking console! Wish me luck! Hopefully I can put it in as nice as some of your guys!! I Want one so bad now! haha

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
really easy to do. hardest part is cutting the headliner (it's not hard to do it's just hard to start cutting up your healdiner).

Take some screwdrivers with you. I found several broken consoles because people tried ripping them out of the truck. There's a screw in the front and tabs in the back... I didn't know that when I went but I figured it out.