The oil thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the octane rating is for compression is it not? so there for with a lower rating like 85 you should have a much lower compression. therefore less power. and ethanol is terrible for these engines, theres one spot across town that has it and its a NIGHT and DAY difference.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your fuel effects the compression in no way whatsoever. High octane ratings are to prevent detonation in engines that are higher compression such as newer cars. Running high octane in an engine that does not require it is a waste of money and makes no difference.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't more ethanol give you a little more performance and in return lower gas mileage? I'm going off the people with the trucks that can run on E85 where they say the mileage sucks but the performance is better. To me when it comes to a truck I prefer performance over gas mileage. Actually I prefer performance over gas mileage in anything lol. I'm the guy that would get a V8 Camaro as a "gas saver", but maybe that's just me lol.

The reason I don't go to the small mom and pop stores is because there's no way of knowing how good or bad the gas is. Maybe it's something that's nothing to worry about, but it's just always been on my mind. Especially since fuel pumps for these trucks aren't known to be all that great.

You can get Non-Ethanol gas from 76 stations over here but I get worse fuel economy running it and it's about $0.50 a gallon more.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I personally run Mobil oil and filters with Shell fuel. One year I switched to Pennzoil because all of my wife's family swears by it and all have vehicles over 200k. That was the same year I ended up spinning a main and rebuilding the engine. I switched back after.

I don't know if the oil made a difference, but to be safe I went back. The in-laws never had a problem, but they were driving Fords with 20w. I have been told the 20w works great, but their 30w is not that great, thus GM users having problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run Bosch or Mobil filters, and run synthetic or blends in my gas motors, run valvoline premium blue 15w-40 in the dually. If its recommended by Cummins, it has to be good for my 6.5, right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The optimizer got the break in oil that came in it for 500 towing miles to bed the rings.

Dumped it and filled with regular rotella until the next regular change (all towing miles).

Dumped that fill and nothing but Rotella T6 since.

Oil filter is mobile 1 extended performance for this reason:

You must be registered for see images attach

:)

biggy-p

Reaction score
i bought my truck with 83,000 miles on her and the day i bought i i used valvoline high mileage 5w-30 synthetic blend and i have used it ever since! i now have over 185,000 on the same engine and i use the fram tough guard filter with it. my grandpa and dad both believe in sticking to ine brand and so i have adapted it and wont change. and also when it starts getting cold out i use that lucus oil stabilizer during the winter with the valvoline just for added protection in the colder months.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be the guy people like to argue with. I'm used to it.

I run extended drain intervals on my 95 6.5L, 03 6.0L, and 06 6.6L.

My 95 is set up w/ Dual By Pass amsoil kit that I made pay for itself in under 1 yr driving 250 miles 5 days a week. I run 50K on an oil change, change the primary very 25K, I have been doing this since 125K mile and now have 300K on it and it only burns 1qt every 10K miles running amsoil 15w40

My 03 previously owned by a vendor on another forum and before that owned by a Dr. gets Mobile 1 5w30 and a wix filter. Oil was sampled at 5K and results came back good, now at 10K and planning to change the oil no matter what the results show. I will extend longer next time probably. Added 1qt between the sample and using, currently not at the full line.

06 Dmax gets Mobile Delvac/Mobile 1 5w40 full synthetic. Uses 1 qt in 12K and gets rode pretty hard towing, currently at 17.5K and have an issue steming from the air filter and low coolant temps from a bad tstat. Something about not evaping contaminants and silicon from dust passing a failed filter.

My farm fleet gets 15w40 CIH oil and 2500 mile oil changes. These trucks slobber, drool, and mark their territory using ~1qt/500-1000 miles towing heavy. Includes my 94 K3500 6.5Lwhich has been in the fleet since new and has the original engine w/ 350K, 93 K3500 6.5L was in a construction fleet now has 240K original, 01 K3500 8.1L owned since new and got 5/10w30 until it 200K and currently has 280K, 07 Classic K2500 6.0L w 220K miles.

My 95 K1500 305 I owned for 9yrs and put +160K miles on it ran quaker state 5w30 and 5K oil changes most of its life and when I sold it w/ 247K it still didn't use more than 1qt/2500 and I saw it 11 months later w/ over 260K and still pulling a loaded trailer.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Rotella T and NAPA gold filters have kept my vortec happy and healthy for 220,000 hard miles. It gets changed every 5000-7000 miles. When we did the cam swap, the insides of the engine were clean as new. This is what the previous owner ran so its what i continued to put in it and i have been impressed with the results. I have never added oil between changes. Its always at the full mark when i change it. It also gets a new air filter at every oil change. IMO thats some cheap insurance on a good engine.