The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to know! And you replaced just the in tank unit correct? Are you thinking about an electronic external in line unit as well?

Yep i just swapped the factory pump out of the factory carrier. As far as a second pump goes, I'm thinking two in the tank, tied together. Not exactly sure how I'd do it yet though.. It would probably be easier to just upgrade to the 450.. lol

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK sounds good. I have a friend that is like why not swap a LS based motor?? haha it is tempting but something about keeping the original motor/ big block/ motor is healthy and is in the engine bay. I wouldn't mind a mild cam, heads and rockers to complement the turbo + I do tow and use the truck to do truck things and don't need high revving hp's- torque in the low RPMs = good thing.

Second vid posted up on the tune of the 0411 by LT. He is using HP Tuners and it seems this is the way to go as EFI Live is older and narrow in terms of spectrum of vehicles it can support. HP Tuners is just x5 the cost of EFI Live.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK sounds good. I have a friend that is like why not swap a LS based motor?? haha it is tempting but something about keeping the original motor/ big block/ motor is healthy and is in the engine bay. I wouldn't mind a mild cam, heads and rockers to complement the turbo + I do tow and use the truck to do truck things and don't need high revving hp's- torque in the low RPMs = good thing.

Second vid posted up on the tune of the 0411 by LT. He is using HP Tuners and it seems this is the way to go as EFI Live is older and narrow in terms of spectrum of vehicles it can support. HP Tuners is just x5 the cost of EFI Live.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I like HPTuners; I've played around with a bunch of stuff just getting all kinds of **** calibrated and using the VCM Scanner for data-logging and other diagnostic **** is so nice. I was even set up a few tables so I can pair to my brother's LB7 Duramax and scan.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like HPTuners; I've played around with a bunch of stuff just getting all kinds of **** calibrated and using the VCM Scanner for data-logging and other diagnostic **** is so nice. I was even set up a few tables so I can pair to my brother's LB7 Duramax and scan.

Did you notice that bit at the end of the 0411 swap video talking about jumping those terminals to ground? You might want to check your spreadsheet and see if you have wires there or not. I remember you had issues doing a crank relearn.

EDIT: Apparently lextech knew about this long ago....

I do not have any wires going to my C1 connector pins 32 and 34 so I can do my own CASE relearns... YET.

FYI, that bit at the end about the p0300 code, P1336 is the crank angle relearn code. He's getting a P0300 because his dizzy drive gear is worn. If you get that when you do it in your truck, use an auto-zone dizzy (it has a metal body and brass terminals) as a replacement.

It's black too. looks mint.

When I first had my run-in with P0300

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you notice that bit at the end of the 0411 swap video talking about jumping those terminals to ground? You might want to check your spreadsheet and see if you have wires there or not. I remember you had issues doing a crank relearn.

EDIT: Apparently lextech knew about this long ago....

I do not have any wires going to my C1 connector pins 32 and 34 so I can do my own CASE relearns... YET.

FYI, that bit at the end about the p0300 code, P1336 is the crank angle relearn code. He's getting a P0300 because his dizzy drive gear is worn. If you get that when you do it in your truck, use an auto-zone dizzy (it has a metal body and brass terminals) as a replacement.

It's black too. looks mint.

When I first had my run-in with P0300

Definitely going to check for that; Lextech flagged my PCM to not need that provision at all though, or at least I thought he did?

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely going to check for that; Lextech flagged my PCM to not need that provision at all though, or at least I thought he did?

The PCM doesn't need wire taps to know what gear it's in for the tune side of things, but looks like there's something on the board that keeps the logic from being allowed to activate the function if it doesn't see that output grounded. I guess it's like that to keep folks that have a messed up gear selector or whatever from reving the devil out of the engine in an unknown trans position?

Just spit-balling. I'm going to rig a switch under the hood I guess. Or something with the parking brake with a diode.

chevman_88

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with BB who told me that they don't use HP Tuners, but see that Justin over there has done tunes in the past via HP Tuners. I think I'm throwing in the towel on figuring out how to tune and just want to pay someone, but would rather not invest in another interface if possible. If Justin can't use HP Tuners anymore, are there any other options you guys suggest?

k2500 burb 7.4l, 0411 swapped, dual 2.5" exhaust, 0280155884 injectors with 4 bar regulator.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with BB who told me that they don't use HP Tuners, but see that Justin over there has done tunes in the past via HP Tuners. I think I'm throwing in the towel on figuring out how to tune and just want to pay someone, but would rather not invest in another interface if possible. If Justin can't use HP Tuners anymore, are there any other options you guys suggest?

k2500 burb 7.4l, 0411 swapped, dual 2.5" exhaust, 0280155884 injectors with 4 bar regulator.

So you have hp tuners and want someone to tune your truck for you remotely?

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Can you have BB flash it to run and then customize the tune later with HP tuners?

I am not just suggesting this but also considering it as I "didn't have the time" to learn how tuners so I paid BB, but I would be interesting in tuning down the road.

I thought HP tuners was half that of EFI live but now someone is saying 5x? If that's the case I'll probably stick with sending my PCM back to black bear because I'm too cheap to even buy efi live for $800.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Last edited: