The 6.5 Detroit. How bad is it really.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Im asking cause there is a 98 2500 ec that has one in it for 2500$ obo. Is it worth it.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
6.5 is an okay engine we have a 97 K-3500 cclb cheyenne with the 6.5 the pmd must be relocated it is no 7.3 or 12 valve at least the 6.5s are pre emissions no dpfs or scrs or egr coolers and no def all that is on a 6.5 is a soot trap diesel is not cheap and parts for diesels are not cheap when they need work there are some things you can do to make them better again it gets spendy fast the best 6.5 was the first year 93 because it had a mechanical injection pump in 94 it switched to electronic if you go to see the truck start it open the hood and look for this if you see this do not buy it
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
6.5 is an okay engine we have a 97 K-3500 cclb cheyenne with the 6.5 the pmd must be relocated it is no 7.3 or 12 valve at least the 6.5s are pre emissions no dpfs or scrs or egr coolers and no def all that is on a 6.5 is a soot trap diesel is not cheap and parts for diesels are not cheap when they need work there are some things you can do to make them better again it gets spendy fast the best 6.5 was the first year 93 because it had a mechanical injection pump in 94 it switched to electronic if you go to see the truck start it open the hood and look for this if you see this do not buy it
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I think im gonna pass on it. Ive heard there common for snapping cranks terrible at starting below 65 degrees. This is what i heard dosent mean its true. and just overated. Ill look for another 350 truck or 454.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
I have herd about the crank breaking do not know any one it happened to have never seen a forum post or a video about it

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I have herd about the crank breaking do not know any one it happened to have never seen a forum post or a video about it
Look up (Corry Philips) on (youtube) he had a white 6.5 he was trying to start. It wouldnt turn over well when it did it slammed bammed and nothing.

Scott Davison

Reaction score
My buddy has a rollback that had a 6.5l. It broke the crank so we dropped a 12 valve in it. Of course the same guy bought a beat to death power company truck at auction with an LML Duramax. It needed head gaskets so we did that and about a year later it broke the crank. We pull it check everything out and rebuild it with a new crank and a firing order-swap cam which is supposed to stop the crank breaking. A year later it breaks it again. So he puts a reman engine in the truck and sells it, and buys a 3500 Chevy with a work bed on it and a pre-broken crankshaft. I refused to work on it and he had another shop put a reman engine in it. about a year later, KNOCK KNOCK SQUEAK CHIRP KNOCK.

SUffice to say you couldn't give me a GM diesel. However I think they fixed the issue with the L5P. I have another buddy on his second truck with an L5P and aside for his bad habit of putting DEF in the fuel tank they have been flawless.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
My buddy has a rollback that had a 6.5l. It broke the crank so we dropped a 12 valve in it. Of course the same guy bought a beat to death power company truck at auction with an LML Duramax. It needed head gaskets so we did that and about a year later it broke the crank. We pull it check everything out and rebuild it with a new crank and a firing order-swap cam which is supposed to stop the crank breaking. A year later it breaks it again. So he puts a reman engine in the truck and sells it, and buys a 3500 Chevy with a work bed on it and a pre-broken crankshaft. I refused to work on it and he had another shop put a reman engine in it. about a year later, KNOCK KNOCK SQUEAK CHIRP KNOCK.

SUffice to say you couldn't give me a GM diesel. However I think they fixed the issue with the L5P. I have another buddy on his second truck with an L5P and aside for his bad habit of putting DEF in the fuel tank they have been flawless.
Whoops. He should invest the def delete or look at the caps. Hahaha just kidding

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the 6.5. They are no different than any other engine, they have their specific challenges that you have to learn. Glow plugs are not optional, they must all work and work well to start, especially below freezing. Broken cranks are a known issue but also with a known source; the harmonic balancers fail and take the cranks with them. It is known but still not common. They last forever when treated well, mine gets +30% highway fuel mileage (+20% city) vs my 400 gas truck (gas 4.10, diesel 3.73, admittedly) diesel is more expensive, fuel additive is mandatory, they're noisy and when you do need hard parts they're x4 more expensive. The message is if you got a good one, it's great. If you got one that needs love, you need time, knowledge, or money.