95 with the 6.5l Detroit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I offered him 1500, what type of mods besides adding a turbo and a tuner should I do right away? And estimated cost?
to be honest, I recommend NOT turboing it. if it's an automatic the 4l60e probably won't hold boost very well. I'd replace the harmonic balancer and crank pulley as they are known failure points, and maybe oil cooler lines if they are leaking.

There is a little performance to be had with the n/a engines, what surprisingly made a huge difference on mine was removing the intake "snorkel" from within the fender and hollowing out the intake silencer, the factory intake was very restricted. the 95 intake silencer looks a little more convoluted than my 93's, so it may be easier to find an intake tube from a TBI 4.3 truck with no silencer. If it has a ton of miles and there's slop in the timing chain, you can sometimes gain some power by advancing the timing a bit (will require a special scan tool/software to do on a 95) but if you get too greedy with timing you can end up melting glow plugs and blowing headgaskets.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When you use broad terms such as the spewing of misinformation and simple google search, you made it personal. Backtrack all you want now, but don't insult my intelligence. You said what you said.
The responses make it clear you've offended a 6.5-evangelist. But it's "not that serious bro" :rofl:

Richard

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha that’s funny, I would happen to have both pretty much if I bought this truck. It’s becoming and obs addiction I guess
I’ve got 3, all TBI 350s. They are fun. Sometimes I get the 6.5 itch, usually when I see a 2-door blazer with one. I did the diesel thing for a while when I had my LML and I think I’ve had my fill for a while.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, I know its been a while but here is an update. Guy said he would now entertain 1500$, and Im not sure what you guys mean by replacing the harmonic balancer and crank. Does that mean both pulleys? And if so what are the best ones that are good for minor upgrades. If I buy this truck im probably just gonna put a cai and a new free flowing exhaust on it, and if i get real ambitious Ill tune it and add bigger injectors. Any suggestions welcome thanks.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, I know its been a while but here is an update. Guy said he would now entertain 1500$, and Im not sure what you guys mean by replacing the harmonic balancer and crank. Does that mean both pulleys? And if so what are the best ones that are good for minor upgrades. If I buy this truck im probably just gonna put a cai and a new free flowing exhaust on it, and if i get real ambitious Ill tune it and add bigger injectors. Any suggestions welcome thanks.
yes both pulleys. Don't waste your money on bigger injectors they will not do anything except make you wallet lighter. You will not see any power difference without doing major mods to the engine. I would also not waste money on a CAI if your thinking of the type that just has a cone style filter that just hangs out in the engine bay. That does nothing but bring in hot air. The set up that is on the truck is way better. Exhaust and tune would be your best bang for the buck.