95 with the 6.5l Detroit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is very obviously a factory non-turbo 6.5, which was available until 1995. still has the factory electronic injection pump that came on all 94+ trucks, N/A or not. A simple google search could have prevented so much misinformation from being spewed in this thread.

That being said, the N/A ones are pretty good, don't let people discourage you. The factory turbo kind of sucks, and makes changing injectors and glowplugs more difficult. without it you don't run into the typical overheating issues and popping a headgasket is a lot less common. Fuel Economy is much better on the N/A trucks too.

he only downside is that the N/A truck will have a 4l60e vs the 4l80e a turbo truck would have. If it was anywhere near me for that price, I'd jump on it. You don't see them come up for sale very often.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is very obviously a factory non-turbo 6.5, which was available until 1995.
Yes, but super rare in the 1/2 ton trucks. Diesel 1500's are rare enough, non-turbo versions are few and far between.
still has the factory electronic injection pump that came on all 94+ trucks, N/A or not. A simple google search could have prevented so much misinformation from being spewed in this thread.
Misinformation? Like what?
That being said, the N/A ones are pretty good, don't let people discourage you. The factory turbo kind of sucks, and makes changing injectors and glowplugs more difficult. without it you don't run into the typical overheating issues and popping a headgasket is a lot less common. Fuel Economy is much better on the N/A trucks too.
No discouragement, simply an accurate assessment of what these motors are, and more importantly are not.
he only downside is that the N/A truck will have a 4l60e vs the 4l80e a turbo truck would have. If it was anywhere near me for that price, I'd jump on it. You don't see them come up for sale very often.
There are many downsides to the 6.2/6.5 motors, many exposed by operator error, but some are just design issues....

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, but super rare in the 1/2 ton trucks. Diesel 1500's are rare enough, non-turbo versions are few and far between.
doesn't mean they didn't exist, so some previous statements made in this thread are incorrect. My intention was not to call anyone out on doing this intentionally, but rather to make sure there was a delineation between speculation and fact.
Misinformation? Like what?
All of this is not true or at least speculative:
It should have a turbo.
only RPO L56/L65 are turbo. L49 and L57 are N/A.
6.2's were non turbo and, from what I understand a few early 6.5's were non turbo as well. A 95 6.5 had a turbo, I owned one back in 96. If this one doesn't, walk away. It's been messed with.
See Above.
A peek through the GM Heritage Center 1995 truck brochure in the powertrain section would answer it definitively, but I agree, a 1995 6.5 without a turbo gives "this broke and we couldn't afford to fix it right so we took it off" vibes.

Richard
the heritage center 1995 brochure (order guide?) shows a 6.5l N/A engine available in the C/K 1500.
That looks like a 6.2 non turbo, which would not have been in a 95 1500 from the factory.
Can you get the VIN?
The intake silencer/IAT sensor, electric injection pump, and A/C lines are all dead giveaways that this is a vin P truck, all different than the turbo or 6.2 variants.
No discouragement, simply an accurate assessment of what these motors are, and more importantly are not.

There are many downsides to the 6.2/6.5 motors, many exposed by operator error, but some are just design issues....
Man, you took my comment personally. I know they have issues. but the N/A ones do not have nearly as many. It's not abnormal for the PMD to last nearly forever on N/A trucks because underhood heat is so much less.

Enough thread derail. OP, if the rest of the truck is in good shape, I would not be afraid to buy it.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. I know the guy said trans is rebuilt pretty recently. I offered him 1500$ because it sounded like this truck was gonna be a lotta work to give it some power. He hasn’t responded so maybe he’s mad. He started at 3,000 original posting price and worked down to 2500 without me saying anything. We will see

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doesn't mean they didn't exist, so some previous statements made in this thread are incorrect. My intention was not to call anyone out on doing this intentionally, but rather to make sure there was a delineation between speculation and fact.
And yet you start off implying none of us know how to use google....
All of this is not true or at least speculative:
And was stated as such. I stand by my statement, since the vast majority of 95 6.5's were turbo motors.
only RPO L56/L65 are turbo. L49 and L57 are N/A.

See Above.

the heritage center 1995 brochure (order guide?) shows a 6.5l N/A engine available in the C/K 1500.
Quite literally what was suggested.
The intake silencer/IAT sensor, electric injection pump, and A/C lines are all dead giveaways that this is a vin P truck, all different than the turbo or 6.2 variants.
Again, a P vin was discussed.
Man, you took my comment personally.
When you use broad terms such as the spewing of misinformation and simple google search, you made it personal. Backtrack all you want now, but don't insult my intelligence. You said what you said.
I know they have issues. but the N/A ones do not have nearly as many. It's not abnormal for the PMD to last nearly forever on N/A trucks because underhood heat is so much less.
Fewer issues and less power. From an already low-performing platform.
Enough thread derail.
Hardly a thread derail, he asked for information and opinions. We (you included) are providing them.
OP, if the rest of the truck is in good shape, I would not be afraid to buy it.
I disagree, but that's just me.
Have a pleasant day.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And yet you start off implying none of us know how to use google....
I stated a google search could've prevented that. The only thing implied was that you did not use google, not that you could not.
When you use broad terms such as the spewing of misinformation and simple google search, you made it personal. Backtrack all you want now, but don't insult my intelligence. You said what you said.
Bro it's not that serious. You were wrong, it's alright. happens to the best of us.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. I know the guy said trans is rebuilt pretty recently. I offered him 1500$ because it sounded like this truck was gonna be a lotta work to give it some power. He hasn’t responded so maybe he’s mad. He started at 3,000 original posting price and worked down to 2500 without me saying anything. We will see
Based on the VIN it's a regular cab, not sure how many miles are on it but 2500 may be a little steep dependent upon condition. If you're looking to build power you'd just need the turbo manifold, turbo, and intake or intake hat, and a tune. But in stock form they really aren't as gutless as people make them out to be, very torquey and super responsive. Good luck!

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I offered him 1500, what type of mods besides adding a turbo and a tuner should I do right away? And estimated cost?