95 with the 6.5l Detroit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok sounds good. I’ll have to see what the owner says. Not looking good but that’s ok. I really didn’t need this pickup, it just looked cool to me. Thanks!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wonder if it's had a military surplus engine dropped in it. Those were non-turbo into the 6.5L era, I believe.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So for anyone who knows, this is a picture of the motor. It’s just what the owner had posted on marketplace. Doesn’t look like a turbo was supposed to be in there. Any thought?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either one would do it as the SPID label has the VIN on it, too. 8th digit of VIN indicates which engine it came with, but the RPO codes on the SPID label would spell out the specific options.

We love a good mystery. :)

Richard
8th digit of P would indicate a non-turbo 6.5 I believe. Super rare (because they suck) but possible.

Big T

Reaction score
First thing to know is they are not a Duramax, Power stroke or Cummins. It will never compete with them no matter how many thousands of dollars you throw at it. Exhaust helps. If you can find a K47 air filter set up for it. It flows better then the stock flat filter you have now. With the filter make sure it is for a diesel not a gasser they are different. Don't plan on more then 10ish pounds of boost with out popping head gaskets. I'm sure there is more but i can't think of it.
If you go to this link it will tell you more then I have
https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/6-5-newbies-start-here.391426/
You will find much better help at www.thetruckstop.us

Yes you will need to do a number of mods to ensure longevity. You can run up to 14 psi with aftermarket turbo. It will need cooling mods and replace the harmonic balanced. I own two K2500 Suburbans with 6.5 diesels and they are beasts, but I would never use them for daily transportation.