Tech: Every possible dash switch for GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Various Horizontal and Vertical filler panels and retainer.
You must be registered for see images attach

I've noticed you don't have one with all 3 vertical retainers open for switches.... should I assume this is an impossible find? I desperately want one and a FOG switch for the top vertical panel switch.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
All three of those blanks pop out, but they are different sizes. The fog switch only fits on the bottom.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All three of those blanks pop out, but they are different sizes. The fog switch only fits on the bottom.
Huh. I guess I never actually tried to pop out the top blank. any time I've put pressure on it, it feels like it'd snap/break so I never messed with it any further. Thanks!

If the fog only fits the bottom, then I'm seriously contemplating re-locating the passenger airbag switch that is in it right now. I'll never use it, however I don't want to totally remove it unless there is a way to bypass it or safely wire it up so that the airbag is always on. I really want two stock panel switches that I can wire to my own accessories. I have push button 4WD so the horizontal panel is out of the question.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the NBS trucks it is pretty common to do that. They push the airbag switch back into the dash or lengthen the wires to the glovebox. Then they replace the spot with a cubby hole or switch panel.

pulled this up on google real quick, it is from 88gmctruck lol
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ew/forums/topic.asp?id=197634
Nifty!
Prob's'll just stuff it somewhere up under the dash. Already have three toggles (one was for rear speakers, others for future passenger-priority projects) in my glovebox. no room. lol thanks.

If anyone knows of a bottom vertical panel fog switch for sale (eBay, etc..) let me know!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I've noticed you don't have one with all 3 vertical retainers open for switches.... should I assume this is an impossible find? I desperately want one and a FOG switch for the top vertical panel switch.
Only vehicles that had a 3-panel retainer would have been a 4wd lift glass SUV with fogs. Wiper on top, rear hatch in center, and fog on the bottom.

Come to think of it, the only way to have fogs in a pickup is if it was 2wd, or 4wd with a floor shift transfercase. The airbag switch only fits in the lowest vertical stack... and if you had push button 4wd there wouldn't be any other location for it!

Huh. I guess I never actually tried to pop out the top blank. any time I've put pressure on it, it feels like it'd snap/break so I never messed with it any further. Thanks!
That is a big negative. The panels are configured as one piece, so you need the one with the proper amount of retainers VS blanks.

If the fog only fits the bottom, then I'm seriously contemplating re-locating the passenger airbag switch that is in it right now. I'll never use it, however I don't want to totally remove it unless there is a way to bypass it or safely wire it up so that the airbag is always on. I really want two stock panel switches that I can wire to my own accessories. I have push button 4WD so the horizontal panel is out of the question.
I would just modify the retainer to accept a fog switch on top. That was my plan when I had my 99.

On the NBS trucks it is pretty common to do that. They push the airbag switch back into the dash or lengthen the wires to the glovebox. Then they replace the spot with a cubby hole or switch panel.

pulled this up on google real quick, it is from 88gmctruck lol
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ew/forums/topic.asp?id=197634
Was going to say, that was me!

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only vehicles that had a 3-panel retainer would have been a 4wd lift glass SUV with fogs. Wiper on top, rear hatch in center, and fog on the bottom.

Come to think of it, the only way to have fogs in a pickup is if it was 2wd, or 4wd with a floor shift transfercase. The airbag switch only fits in the lowest vertical stack... and if you had push button 4wd there wouldn't be any other location for it!
You know your sh*t. Thats awesome.

I would just modify the retainer to accept a fog switch on top. That was my plan when I had my 99.
*raises hand* question: the top retainer accepts the same size switch as the middle(to my understanding)... but the actual panel is the same size as the bottom. Correct?

If so, what am I actually modifying? The cargo switch or the blank? OR do I have this all wrong and would appreciate a slightly more in-depth description (not asking for a write-up) of what to do.

EDIT: took a final peek at the quoted picture of retainers above and noticed how the top retainer has a lil tab cut out in the middle of the bottom of it and the middle retainer has a tab cut out offset to the right... thinking that'll be modded... still doesn't answer how the panel for the cargo switch will cover up all of the top retainer's space. if it doesn't, I'd most likely be the only one to notice/know anyways.

Last edited:

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
88GMCtruck;38243Vertical Stack: Bottom to top: Airbag said:
114516[/ATTACH]

The vertical fog light switch is IMPOSSIBLE to find! I have been looking for over a month for one with no hits. Verticle fog switch is a DS-938, from what I can figure out, any idea on the number for the verticle switch? Want one for my '97.

Attachments

• IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
The vertical fog light switch is IMPOSSIBLE to find! I have been looking for over a month for one with no hits. Verticle fog switch is a DS-938, from what I can figure out, any idea on the number for the verticle switch? Want one for my '97.

It's a lot easier to find than the horizontal fog light switch. I have a vertical one, but I ain't giving it up. :lol:

You can find them in denalis, escalades, z71 tahoes, and limited tahoes.