Tech: Every possible dash switch for GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, somewhat new here. Don't mean to throw this thread off topic, but I wanna clarify something. The Dome Override pushbutton, thats a normally-closed switch isn't it? And my second question is, does anyone know how easy it'd be to rewire that?
My door-jambs don't work (therefore the override is useless). I don't mind that the door-jambs don't work cause I never liked lights coming on every time I open my door nor that "door ajar" buzzer. I wanna rewire the Dome Override button to my visor shelf lights because I don't wanna reach underneath the dash where all of my switches are for non-essential electrical accessories, and I'd like to be able to turn them on immediately. And I'd like to keep my dash stock, which from reading this thread seems to be a common interest.
Any help would be appreciated!

Blazed

The Blazed One
Reaction score
The door lights are always hot, the door is grounded when opened to complete the circuit so to me it sounds like either you got a blown fuse or something isn't grounding right.
THe buzzer is just a speaker that can be unplugged right next to the brake pedal. As for the dome override button I don't get what you mean by re-wire it.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, somewhat new here. Don't mean to throw this thread off topic, but I wanna clarify something. The Dome Override pushbutton, thats a normally-closed switch isn't it? And my second question is, does anyone know how easy it'd be to rewire that?
My door-jambs don't work (therefore the override is useless). I don't mind that the door-jambs don't work cause I never liked lights coming on every time I open my door nor that "door ajar" buzzer. I wanna rewire the Dome Override button to my visor shelf lights because I don't wanna reach underneath the dash where all of my switches are for non-essential electrical accessories, and I'd like to be able to turn them on immediately. And I'd like to keep my dash stock, which from reading this thread seems to be a common interest.
Any help would be appreciated!

The door jamb switch is shot most likely. They are notorious for going out on GMT400's. The switch mounts on the side of the dash facing the door, it has 2 clips on the back side that hold it into place. Simply reach up behind the dash, compress both sides of the clips and push it out. The switches are only 7-8 dollars, so its an easy and cheap fix!

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took apart my dash friday afternoon cause I wasn't getting replies and I had nothing better to do. Borrowed a wiring diagram from a friend and realized that the door-jambs complete the circuit via the ground wire. I was taught to never put a switch on the ground wire, so this was ass-backwards and frustrating to me. Anyways, I took apart the switch box (dome-override, dimmer switch, rotary headlamp switch) and found out how ridiculously simple the dome-override switch is. So simple that Saturn wouldn't have approved of its use in their vehicles. Thats when I realized I couldn't use the dome-override as an aux switch. And because of the switch box, I can't remove the dome-override button and put a push-button switch in its place. :(

new plan. Find a REALLY good hiding spot for a toggle that isn't buried, but isn't in total plain sight. Thought about wiring it to my cargo lamp switch but that would defeat the purpose of making it easy to turn on my lights if i need to read something while standing outside of my truck.

The door jamb switch is shot most likely. They are notorious for going out on GMT400's. The switch mounts on the side of the dash facing the door, it has 2 clips on the back side that hold it into place. Simply reach up behind the dash, compress both sides of the clips and push it out. The switches are only 7-8 dollars, so its an easy and cheap fix!
I'm honestly glad it went out. The one on the right side is broken internally, and the driver side one, the switch actuator broke off and I had to jam the spring, that puts tension on it, inside of the switch so it always thought the door was closed. When it initially broke, it thought my door was open 24/7, and even with the dome-override pushed in, the way it disconnects the ground is so cheap that every significant bump I hit, the lights and buzzer would come on for a split second.

ALSO, the way you explain how to remove the switch: not 100% correct. The way you explain it is exactly how I attempted to remove it, but there are plastic fins on it that keep it from pulling out completely, even with the clips on both sides compressed. I broke one of the clips in the process, and now it hangs out a bit. Just gonna glue it back onto the side of the dash cause all I want the door-jamb switch for (w/o the actuator) is to cover up the hole its mounted in. I unplugged the driver side door-jamp pigtail, so I don't have to screw with any of that again.

After typing this entire book here, I'll sum it up as "I no longer plan on trying to use the dome-override button as an auxiliary switch." ( i should really learn how to explain myself with fewer words) Thank you for your help and advice! @Blazed and @Mean Green! (mean green, love the truck color!)

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Dave - any idea if I could put a stock fog light switch in place of the blank I have on the top of the vertical stack? Are they all the same size?