700r4 trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Omex18

Reaction score
Yesterday was driving my 1990 c1500 with a 700r4 on freeways caught a little traffic when getting out the truck would wouldnt go to 2nd got off the freeway then on the street wouldnt go accelerated to 4k rpm and shifted to 2nd and to all other gears normally today i changed governor thinking it was that but still the same now im stuck cant figure it out HELP

Attachments

• IMG_4911.jpeg
    IMG_4911.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 5

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was driving my 1990 c1500 with a 700r4 on freeways caught a little traffic when getting out the truck would wouldnt go to 2nd got off the freeway then on the street wouldnt go accelerated to 4k rpm and shifted to 2nd and to all other gears normally today i changed governor thinking it was that but still the same now im stuck cant figure it out HELP
Was that pic of it on the tow truck taken today? How many miles on the transmission?

Agree with Tayto, band could be slipping. Check servo inboard travel, shouldnt be more than .125. If the band is worn, it will slip in 2nd but 4th may be normal as both apply pistons are holding whereas in 2nd, only the 2nd gear apply piston is working/applying the band which grabs the rev input drum.

You can possibly buy more time with a shift kit and corvette 2nd gear servo but more than likely, it's on borrowed time.

After you checked servo travel, drop the pan and see if lots of burnt friction material is present. If so, put the pan back on with a few bolts and yank it out for overhaul.

Omex18

Reaction score
Was that pic of it on the tow truck taken today? How many miles on the transmission?

Agree with Tayto, band could be slipping. Check servo inboard travel, shouldnt be more than .125. If the band is worn, it will slip in 2nd but 4th may be normal as both apply pistons are holding whereas in 2nd, only the 2nd gear apply piston is working/applying the band which grabs the rev input drum.

You can possibly buy more time with a shift kit and corvette 2nd gear servo but more than likely, it's on borrowed time.

After you checked servo travel, drop the pan and see if lots of burnt friction material is present. If so, put the pan back on with a few bolts and yank it out for overhaul.
The tow truck picture is from friday
And the mileage on the transmission is unknown

I might take it to a transmission shop since i dont have any tools to work on the transmission