4.10 Gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2Grim4U

Reaction score
I have a 93 2wd extended cab 305 4l60e transmission. I was thinking about installing a set of 4.10 gears for pulling and still daily driving. My tires are right at 30” on this truck so I don’t see the need for 4.56 gears. I run 4.88 - 5.38 in my jeeps but that’s a diff story lol. What do you guys think? Thanks

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 93 2wd extended cab 305 4l60e transmission. I was thinking about installing a set of 4.10 gears for pulling and still daily driving. My tires are right at 30” on this truck so I don’t see the need for 4.56 gears. I run 4.88 - 5.38 in my jeeps but that’s a diff story lol. What do you guys think? Thanks
I think that's a great idea to "wake up" the little 305, definitely would feel the difference bombing around town. Would be a little higher revving on the highway obviously, but that's man music though. Lol

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's a great idea to "wake up" the little 305, definitely would feel the difference bombing around town. Would be a little higher revving on the highway obviously, but that's man music though. Lol

Agreed ^^^

On 30” tires w/ 4.10 gears you’ll see roughly:

- RPM at 70MPH in OD = ~2277, that’s very reasonable

- RPM at 65MPH in D = ~3016 (a good range for pulling a trailer)

4.56 gears would increase the RPM numbers above by 10%

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from 3.35s to 4.11s in my Mustang, and it made a huge difference in performance. The 5R55S has a .710 top gear compared to the 4L60e's .696 top gear, so the highway revs will be nearly the same. Yesterday I was cranking down the turnpike - 80 mph speed limit, and it was turning just north of 3,000 rpm. More than I like, but not worryingly so.

2Grim4U

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yeah I thought it would wake the little feller up a little bit. Will mostly be commuting to work but would like to pull the boat and my rock crawler which together with trailer weight around 6k pounds. As far as stock gears I have no idea, truck doesn’t have a tachometer but it’s geared really high, probably running 2k rpms or less in od at 70mph on the highway.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably running 2k rpms or less in od at 70mph on the highway.

I'm assuming that the "70mph" you stated is actual speed; indicated speed might be different.

3.42 gears would give you ~1900 at 70mph on 30s.

I can't imagine it would have 3.08 gears, but maybe; it would tach ~1700 at 70mph if so.

Last edited:

2Grim4U

Reaction score
I've never been in a vehicle with a lunchbox, all I've read is they are noisy and short lives.
What's your real world experience?
Like is it "embarrassing" noisy?
It’s absolutely not noisy in my opinion as long as you maintain good and proper weight gear oil. Every once in a while I will hear a few clicks on the pavement but nothing major. Now on trail they can pop in with a bang every once in a while, but it’s an expected thing so you never think much of it. My grizzly full locker never makes a sound, but it was $800 too so that may have something to do with it. As far as longevity I beat the crap out of a spartan for two solid years in my YJ and it never faltered. And my buddy has beat the crap out of one for 6+ years in a one ton jeep and it’s still good.