4.56 gearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I once had a toy hauler & loaded it with dirt bikes,camping gear,a generator and camping stuff for weekend trips to the desert and with the 4:56s in the Burb it pulled great,granted the fuel mileage wasn't great(8-10mpg) but I never had a problem towing that weight.If you you do go to different gears be aware you're going to see a difference in pulling power and you're going to be putting more stress on the engine and trans.I doubt I'd change gearing in my Burb.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With higher numerical axle you have is probably rated for the heaviest pull in that class truck. Changing the ratio in both differentials ( 4x4 right?) Is gonna put you operating in different RPM. How will that affect or change the power band , torque / horsepower you operate in ?
Do you have auto or manual transmission?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95 chevy Cheyenne 3500 4×4. It is geared really low 4.56 the truck is mainly going to be used for highway use.
Wrong vehicle for that application.

Maybe a dozen times a year will be used for hauling bales horses and cattle.
Correct vehicle for that application.

Looking at changing gears should I go 3.73 or 4.10. right now going 105-110 km rpm are 2500-2600 RPM fuel mileage is horrible 8-9 mpg
You don't need different gears, you need a different highway truck.

Maybe a highway penalty-box car.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wrong vehicle for that application.

Correct vehicle for that application.

You usually see duallys on the highway.

Most farmers around here with a balebed, and hauling cattle run 4:10's.

The price of another vehicle, insurance, and maintenance could eat up the savings of a second vehicle, even if that is within a persons means.

Geared or not, I wouldnt expect much for mileage on a big block. Even the guys with 6.0's in their newer farm trucks are maybe getting around 11.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You usually see duallys on the highway.
Absolutely. And unless they're loaded, it's a complete mis-use of equipment.

A 4:56 Dually being used as a highway cruiser is just silly. But it'd be perfect for relocating cows, horses, and hay bales.

The price of another vehicle, insurance, and maintenance could eat up the savings of a second vehicle
Yeah, but it also saves wear 'n' tear on the Heavy Hauler. Reduced depreciaton, and less wear on the "big, heavy" (expensive) parts including two extra tires are also factors to be considered.

Geared or not, I wouldnt expect much for mileage on a big block. Even the guys with 6.0's in their newer farm trucks are maybe getting around 11.
Yup. It'd take extensive tuning to get "good" mileage out of a 454 in a tonner dually truck.

95dually

Reaction score
With higher numerical axle you have is probably rated for the heaviest pull in that class truck. Changing the ratio in both differentials ( 4x4 right?) Is gonna put you operating in different RPM. How will that affect or change the power band , torque / horsepower you operate in ?
Do you have auto or manual transmission?
Auto transmission it has 4*4 used to ne a hydro truck judging by the km they didn't use it much bought it with 153000 km on it.. if I gear it higher ot will be used more on the highway otherwise it will be a farm truck used for pulling which won't be very often dozen times a year.