TBI TO CARB CONVERSION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Injector stuck/sticking open?
Stuck fuel pressure regulator?

Let me ask this. If the engine is good you all mostly are saying it's a sensor issue or injector etc.. If he goes to a Carb can he do away with all these stupid sensors and computer? I asked this earlier. In other words you really don't need to get to the root of the cause if the engine is good and you eliminate the electronics. Is that a accurate statement?

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In essence yes, good engine will run if you go plunk a carb on it. But unless you already have a carb, intake, fuel pressure regulator, hei distributor, to buy new expect to pay 6-700 dollars, just to go fix what is most likely a simple problem with a generally very reliable system.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think we're in the age of you have to fix it yourself, again. Vtec millenium mechanic tech doesn't want to understand TBI on your ancient truck. I went Holley EFI on half my cars and trucks. Sure its expensive, but so is taking your truck to have someone else wrench on it and not fix anything.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I think we're in the age of you have to fix it yourself, again. Vtec millenium mechanic tech doesn't want to understand TBI on your ancient truck. I went Holley EFI on half my cars and trucks. Sure its expensive, but so is taking your truck to have someone else wrench on it and not fix anything.

I get what you're saying but good thing TBI is pretty simple. I'm a ******' idiot and even I have been able to keep mine going 100%.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In essence yes, good engine will run if you go plunk a carb on it. But unless you already have a carb, intake, fuel pressure regulator, hei distributor, to buy new expect to pay 6-700 dollars, just to go fix what is most likely a simple problem with a generally very reliable system.

He's got most of the parts to do it aside from a few things. Well this generally very reliable system isn't reliable on his truck. He's going back to old school stuff that works. Until recently I have never had a Chevy truck without a carb and I personally hate this new electronic stuff. Anyway thank's for all the advice and I hope he gets it fixed.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey he replaced everything and put a carb on it. Still wouldn't run right. Turns out the Harmonic balancer at TDC doesn't align with the timing tab at zero. That may have been the root of the problem all along.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that could certainly do it. The rubber part disintegrates and the outer part rotates out of alignment.
It happens
Make sure to get the right replacement part. They are not all the same
And try to use a gm balancer installation tool when you put the new one on.
Bashing it on with a hammer can cause a few other interesting problems.
Like the pulley not being in line and ripping the rubber and tearing up the front seal and just bludgeoning the end of the crank and many other no bueno things

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Outsider looking in...essentially these guys were right. Out of frustration and old school thinking (which I myself am trying to overcome), more $$$ was spent than needed. I'm not bashing, I'm gaining experience through this forum. -And I like it.

JACK34

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been telling him all along what you all were saying find the root of the problem first but he got frustrated enough to call it quits. His mechanic friends couldn't figure it out and they had for a couple months and replaced all kinds of parts. When it wouldn't fire with the new carb setup he thought it was the old Distributor a guy at work gave him so he scrapped that and bought a new unit. This time when he found TDC he used something to put in plug hole to feel the piston at TDC and the notch in the balancer was like 4 or five inches back from zero. The first time he did it with valve cover off watching the intake valve close and ease it up to zero which would have been way off to start with. But here is the weird thing. If the engine ran with the tbi setup with the timing set looking at a erroneous mark way off. Why then when would it not fire with the first distributor assuming it was good? When the distributor that was in it with the tbi put in right and the balancer shifted and rotated out of alignment over time? I don't know but I appreciate your comments. One lesson learned here for me at least when finding TDC and don't rule out anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers