TBI or Carb? What Do You prefer?

TBI or Carb

• TBI

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Carb

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I hear from older guys how ****** it was to start cars on those cold mornings. I'm glad we have something better now. But why oh why didn't GM put a proper MPFI setup on the small block in the first place?

94 Silverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear from older guys how ****** it was to start cars on those cold mornings. I'm glad we have something better now. But why oh why didn't GM put a proper MPFI setup on the small block in the first place?

I know that's right! The 5.7 Vortec wasn't really a true MPFI correct? It took them until 99 to have real solid EFI on trucks.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well like I said I always had trouble with tbi starting on cold mornings but carb's fire up easy. I'm like above about 3 hits, then tap the pedal once running a few times or hold it down to bring rpm's up a bit for a minute maybe then go, or just let it sit and idle for 5-10 so it'll warm up inside and defrost the windows.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I know that's right! The 5.7 Vortec wasn't really a true MPFI correct? It took them until 99 to have real solid EFI on trucks.

Intake and fuel delivery are the biggest inhibitors of 5.7 Vortecs. They are a CPFI although you can do a MPFI so you can do individual inject changes instead of changing the whole spider, I did this to my truck when the poppets where sticking.

As far as TBI vs. Carb, IMO there's not that big of difference, I prefer a carb when compared to the TBI. In my old '91 and previous farm trucks I've dealt with, TBI's have a real bad throttle delay but were pretty bullet proof. Now if I had to build a motor for a truck that was originally TBI, I would without a question go with a LS style motor, they can be built for around the same cost and are easy to set up with a standalone computer.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good point I had a mpfi v6 camaro and I loved it, thing ran great, strongest little 2.8 I ever seen and it'd run circles around the 92 tbi s-10 we had.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I personally like the fuel injection (TBI and Central SFI) I've had nothing but bad luck with carbs, from flooding out to air/fuel mixture to figuring what size CFM I need for certain engines/mods. The good thing is, the fuel pumps are cheaper and easier to change. After all I've said bad about carbs, I've got a compete carb'ed 350 in the garage that I want to drop in an OBS with a good body or an 80's model Camaro.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Elevation changes are a big deal here in SD too, but driving across the state with my truck would be expensive so we haven't done it.